News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

City limits overlap one another

Started by fam621, December 09, 2018, 12:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fam621

Hi James, I've been experiencing this problem alot in my time playing this game and I wanted to see whether this was fixable. The city limits overlap one another (in other words building(s) in one town/city are placed in another town/city)

jamespetts

I am not sure precisely what you mean by this - but it is not immediately apparent how having towns and cities with imprecise borders creates actual gameplay problems.

There is a long-term plan to change the city growth mechanism entirely, including quite possibly implementing a system where towns absorb neighbouring towns to form metropolitan areas, but that is some way off yet unless significantly more programming resources be forthcoming soon.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

fam621

I was more thinking of like how you like change the climate of the map. I was more thinking of that type of thing where you highlight the buildings which you want to be part of one city (like highlighting the south-west of the city to the north-east (also including the highlighting of the town/city hall) abit like what is shown in the picture below.

jamespetts

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

tubanonymous

What hes saying is that under the special tools of the public player, you can change the climate of a tile or several tiles by "building" on them with the climate tool. He is saying he wants a function using the same type of interface, that will change the city limits of a town. Personally, I think it sounds like a nice feature but its very low on the list of things I would wish to see in simutrans, and it caters to a sort of top-down approach to maximizing the passenger density of every tile in a city.

jamespetts

Oh, this was a feature request, not a bug report? That was not clear. I am afraid that it is likely to be a long time before I am able to implement non-trivial feature requests given the backlog of bug fixes and balance critical features.

fam621

Quote from: jamespetts on December 24, 2018, 12:01:07 PM
Oh, this was a feature request, not a bug report? That was not clear. I am afraid that it is likely to be a long time before I am able to implement non-trivial feature requests given the backlog of bug fixes and balance critical features.

Ideally, this would be welcomed for me because I want to re-limit most of the cities on a map of mine as the city limits overlap one another ALL the time and I get progressively fed up of this.