News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Building foundations

Started by Fabio, April 07, 2009, 09:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabio

Hi all
in RL it's not possible to bore a tunnel immediately under a building.
Buildings could extend for one tile (maybe two for the highest) underground. these foundations can use either a standard image or a customized one (if specified), which could be used for underground entrances.
Building can specify in dats whether they need a foundation or not and if they need to use the standard one or a customized image. e.g. bus stops, simple station platforms, parks and small/low level houses shouldn't need foundations.
These foundations are to be displayed in underground mode, specially if the multilayer view patch is to be integrated in trunk. Alternatively, these foundations can be shown in 50% transparency, to allow seeing underneath.

Gameplay impact:
- It can prevent the abuse of undergrounds, tunnels and, in future, pipes: either you avoid the obstacles or you need to go one level deeper.
- It can add realism and eyecandy effect, adding realistic subway entrances
- It can help the building of a subway line showing the actual shape of the city also underground.

Combuijs

Hmm, in real life the foundation does not only depend on the building, but also on the ground it is build upon. In the place where I live you can use a simple foundation for a normal house. That same house should have a very special foundation much deeper in for instance Amsterdam because of soil conditions.

As we can't specify soil conditions in Simutrans, let's assume for the time being that the next level underground is simply deep enough. Note that Simutrans is a model, not real life. You can't live in pixels, nor can you be transported by pixels. (You can be moved by pixels, but that's something different  ;))
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Fabio

Quote from: Combuijs on April 07, 2009, 10:16:21 AM
let's assume for the time being that the next level underground is simply deep enough. Note that Simutrans is a model, not real life.
exactly, this is intended to be simple and more for gameplay reason than for realism (which i like, anyway)

Quote from: Combuijs on April 07, 2009, 10:16:21 AM
Hmm, in real life the foundation does not only depend on the building, but also on the ground it is build upon. [...]As we can't specify soil conditions in Simutrans...
Well, actually this could depend on climate, but this would definitely go too far! ;)

Combuijs

QuoteWell, actually this could depend on climate, but this would definitely go too far!

No, even within the same climate this is different.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

prissi

Actually, this I am pondering for the extension of the tunnel mode. And a flag for the real height of houses in map pixels (16 per height step). So this might see the light soo (or rather never for foundations.)

Fabio

good, any development in this field is welcome ;)

V813

IMO this will pose a lot of restrictions on underground systems. Particularly, for underground metros, we may have to build the two tracks (for two directions) far apart because we have to build under single-tile-width roads and double track is not available. Loading savegames from older versions can also be problematic.

When I build underground metros in ST, I already simulate RL by restricting the tracks more or less under roads. IMO players who want to build like RL can continue to imagine like I do, without having the actual restrictions in the game code.
V813
Simutrans newbie.

ASV62

Quote from: V813 on May 08, 2009, 01:17:20 AM
IMO this will pose a lot of restrictions on underground systems. Particularly, for underground metros, we may have to build the two tracks (for two directions) far apart because we have to build under single-tile-width roads and double track is not available. Loading savegames from older versions can also be problematic.

When I build underground metros in ST, I already simulate RL by restricting the tracks more or less under roads. IMO players who want to build like RL can continue to imagine like I do, without having the actual restrictions in the game code.
now undergrounds can have slopes in tunnels, we can build tracks under the foundations though the enterance may not suit the altitude.

People who was born with this kind of lifestyle is an artist, while talents are philosophist ....

Fabio

Quote from: ASV62 on May 08, 2009, 05:45:04 AM
now undergrounds can have slopes in tunnels, we can build tracks under the foundations though the enterance may not suit the altitude.

exactly, underground building strategy would be more complex/challenging