News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

[Answered] Low number of Pedestrians and Citycars

Started by JasoSSTO, December 29, 2018, 01:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasoSSTO

This is not a bug report but a question.
Is there an option somewhere to increase pedestrian generation and citycar generation? (I know of citycar_level, but that doesn't seem to change anything even at 16)
In any of the maps I've made, with different years and city sizes there seems to be very little private cars and barely any pedestrians.
I got used to seeing plenty of them in towns in Standard, around 15 ped and 2-3 citycars per 9 tiles (judging from memory) at the 1830's.
Now there seems to be one or two of each in the entire city for the same years and when I begun in 1815 there were none, in a big city.
They feel like dead cities in comparison, so it's a real shame.

Is there any way of increasing the spawn?
My computer can handle it so that's really not an issue.
Thanks in advance.

jamespetts

Welcome to the forums!

I am not sure what you consider to be a low number of private cars or pedestrians, so it is difficult to calibrate your query about the numbers being low. In Simutrans-Extended, private cars are not a purely cosmetic feature: they represent actual private car journeys made by simulated passengers. The number of journeys will be affected by the era (if you have the timeline enabled), how well connected that the town is by road to other towns or out of town industries and attractions, the proportion of wealthy people living in the town (wealthy people are more likely to have access to a car), and how good that the public transport is (passengers may prefer to use public transport instead of using their car).

In 1815, you will not see many private cars, as only wealthy people, of whom there are very few, can afford their own private horse carriages. As time passes, and especially as the 20th century comes and motor cars become available, the number of private cars will increase considerably, especially if your towns are connected to each other by road.

As for pedestrians, again, in Simutrans-Extended pedestrians are generated when actual walking journeys are made by passengers. This includes walking to and from public transport, as well as a complete walking journey from origin to destination.

Both pedestrians and private cars will be more numerous in a game in which there are more passenger journeys made by these forms of transport. Look at the "walked" and "traffic" graphs in the city information windows to see what the numbers of people using these forms of transport are.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

JasoSSTO

Yes, this answers my question.

I got used to Standard's cosmetic citycars and pedestrians so when I moved to Ex I thought something was wrong. (I didn't know they actually had a functionality and not just for cosmetics)
Also, I wasn't able to find anything explaining this feature added in Ex so that's why I posted.

Thanks for the help.

jamespetts

Excellent - glad to have been of assistance. I hope that you enjoy Simutrans-Extended!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.