News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Conflict of translatable word "Goods"

Started by Ranran(retired), December 31, 2018, 12:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

Translatable word "Goods" is in the following three places. (indicated by the red arrow)

(1)Tab label in Factory information dialog
(2)City list dialog
(3)City information chart label

This "Goods" is translated as "Goods needed" in English.
In (2)City list dialog, its tooltip say "The total number of mail/passengers/goods transported in the region", but I don't think so. (´・ω・`)
So, I looked it up.

enum player_cost {
WORLD_CITICENS=0, //!< total people
WORLD_JOBS, //!< total jobs
WORLD_VISITOR_DEMAND, //!< total visitor demand
WORLD_GROWTH, //!< growth (just for convenience)
WORLD_TOWNS, //!< number of all cities
WORLD_FACTORIES, //!< number of all consuming only factories
WORLD_CONVOIS, //!< total number of convois
WORLD_CITYCARS, //!< number of passengers completing their journeys by private car
WORLD_PAS_RATIO, //!< percentage of passengers that started successful
WORLD_PAS_GENERATED, //!< total number generated
WORLD_MAIL_RATIO, //!< percentage of mail that started successful
WORLD_MAIL_GENERATED, //!< all letters generated
WORLD_GOODS_RATIO, //!< ratio of chain completeness
WORLD_TRANSPORTED_GOODS,//!< all transported goods
WORLD_CAR_OWNERSHIP, //!< The proportion of people with access to a private car
MAX_WORLD_COST
};

It is probably transported goods.
So to sum it up, it is better to replace it with another word for distinction.
This will also create obstacles when translate to other languages.
Please note that the adjacent label "Arrived" is also related to Goods transport. It may be better to change this "Arrived"

And "The total number of mail/passengers/goods transported in the region" is wrong help, so need to fix this as well.
(or modify with tab file.)

This is off topic but, I think "WORLD_TRANSPORTED_GOODS"((2)'s Goods needed) in the City list window is currently broken because there is no correlation between years and months figures.
I will post it another thread.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

jamespetts

Thank you for your thoughts on this: this is most helpful. I think that the best solution would probably be to create a new set of translation texts for the two labels in the city information window to allow that window to continue to use the labels "Goods supplied" and "Goods needed", which is where those labels were intended to be used.

The old text (in the code) can be retained for the two other locations, and the translation can be reverted to "Goods".

Does this seem sensible to you? Does anyone else have any comments on this proposed solution? It would have the effect of requiring a new translation text for all languages for "Goods needed" in the city information window.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Ranran(retired)

I noticed that the "Arrived" in the City list window represents the transport achievement rate of goods demand whole the map.
Does it make sense that this label is "Arrived"? (´・ω・`)
Note that "Arrived" is also used in halt_info and factory_chart.

If sharing the same word, we need to select words that make sense in all situations.
In Japanese case, I think the translate that "Arrived" matches all situations will be difficult.

(´・ω・`)到着?輸送?むりげ

jamespetts

No, I do not think that "arrived" makes sense here: "% goods" would be a more consistent translation with the "% passengers" translation for the other dialogue. Again, this would require changing the base texts, which would require re-translation for all languages.

Does this solution seem sensible?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Ranran(retired)

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear enough.

Quote from: Ranran on December 31, 2018, 12:32:07 AMits tooltip say "The total number of mail/passengers/goods transported in the region", but I don't think so.
I think this chart(Current "Goods needed" button in city list) show only freight goods transport, not include passengers and mail. (but months chart now broken)
Fluctuation can not be seen and continue to show 0 in years charts if players do not transport any goods.
It is "The total number of goods transported in the region", right?
(You may have tried to make something changes)

Quote from: jamespetts on January 01, 2019, 11:43:56 AMThe old text (in the code) can be retained for the two other locations, and the translation can be reverted to "Goods".

Does this seem sensible to you?
Translation is based on the standard in many languages in many cases, I think that now there is probably a mismatch of meaning for the "Good needed", so I think it makes sense.

Quote from: jamespetts on January 02, 2019, 12:31:14 PMAgain, this would require changing the base texts, which would require re-translation for all languages.
I know, but I think that untranslated English is better than misunderstanding one. It means that it is different from standard, which is often seen in extended. Translator found it, then translate it.  :p

Ranran(retired)

I submit a patch to fix these issues. (´・ω・`)

and additional Information,
The label "Sent" also displayed percentage. This will also be fixed as well.

jamespetts

Thank you for this. Can I check whether you have added the new translatable texts (e.g. "ratio_goods") to Simutranslator (do I recall correctly that you now have admin access)? If this has been done, this should be ready for incorporation. If I have misremembered and you do not have administrator access, I should be grateful if you could prepare the .dat file for the translatable texts for me to add. Thank you.

Ranran(retired)

Yes, now I uploaded it to simutranslator site.

There is one point attention.
This is a tooltip help text on ratio_mail which is currently translatable text, but content is different (difference between quantity and %), so it is necessary to make it correct through translation.
I am not an English speaker, so prepare that text in en.tab.

The amount of mail transported in the region overall

Or should this be changed in the code?
If so, we need to modify an existing translatable word or register a new translatable word.

jamespetts

Splendid, thank you: I have now incorporated this including an amendment to the English translation text (I did not want to change the base text, as this would break lots of other translations).