News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

[r8663] GUI layout issues

Started by captain crunch, February 03, 2019, 12:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain crunch

Simutrans 120.4.1 Nightly released Feb  2 2019.
Generally there seems too much empty space around base window widgets and the vertical spacing in some
dialogues is quite big.
See attached images.

Ters

The factory list and the city list has some odd bevel lines around the actual lists. (Well, not all the way around. The top is missing.) This is not the case for alle the other lists.

I do not mind the extra margins in the factory and schedule windows. It probably has something to do with the fact that the tabs and the list, respectively, do not appear as the main part of the window due to the amount of other widgets above them.

The lists in the line management window is something of a mess. They have margins to the left and right of the window, but not to the bottom. And there is no spacing between them. There should be as much space between the lists as between the corresponding buttons above them. It also looks a bit weird that one list is taller than the other, but maybe that will look better with some spacing.

Dwachs

Thanks for testing and the report. The text run-in in the pak-selection is fixed in r8665. The city list is made wider in r8666. (The problem here is that there is space reserved for the word statistics chart, which demands a larger window)

The empty space is due to theme-specific window margins and spacer settings. You could try to play with them by setting them in a theme file (gui_frame_left /right/top/bottom, gui_vspace, gui_hspace), see the files in theme/*.tab.

The line-management window still needs to be rewritten.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

The line management probably has also to get a tab based approach, with top line selection and bottom then statistics, stops, convois ...

Ters

I prefer having at least stops and convois visible at the same time.

prissi

One could allow more instances of the line management window, if the default tab is not open ...

Ters

They would have to be synchronized somehow then, so that when I select a line in either, I know that I see the corresponding stops and vehicles.

prissi

But that would not allow to compare lines side by side. If there are multiple instances allowed, I would also allow for different content.

Ters

Multiple instances is fine. It is hiding information I need together behind different tabs that I am against in this case. When I upgrade the vehicles on a line, I usually need a list of the line's stops, a list of the line's vehicles, a depot window, and probably four to eight vehicle windows to do it smoothly without cause traffic problems or overcrowding. While still being able to see a little bit of the map.

captain crunch

Preview of tall buildings in the  city building/factory/attraction build dialogue are cut off at the top and there seem too many horizontal scrollbars where the window should have been made more wide in the beginning as can be seen in the attached screen shot.

prissi

Indeed, this is a flowtext, which breaks the text according to its width. I suspect a pixel off by one error here.

Leartin

Since it's similar, this is what I saw starting Pak96Comic - it's the list of duplicates, which most players probably wouldn't see anymore ;)

EDIT1: Also, you can resize that window, causing artifacts because there is no cleanup (I assume), and none of the three suggested keys get's me past it.

EDIT2: Appearently, all three buttons at once works? oô

prissi

A recent nightly should have solved all these issues.