News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

GNR bogie & 6-wheel carriages capacity / comfort

Started by Vladki, February 07, 2019, 11:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

These might need some tuning. There are two versions of these carriages - with and without lavatory. I suppose that those with lavatory were intended for longer distance, so they should act similar to the 1870's luggage carriages - a bit higher comfort and lower capacity (one compartment lost to lavatory).

The options are:
6-wheel 5 compartments: capacity 50, comfort 70, OK
6-wheel 4 compartments + brake: capacity 40, comfort 70, OK
6-wheel 5-compartments + lavatory: capacity 40, comfort 83, picture and capacity matches 4 compartments better, so just description should be fixed

bogie 6 compartment: capacity 60, comfort 98
bogie 5 compartment + brake: capacity 60, comfort 98, capacity should be 50, picture is OK for 5 compartments
bogie 5 compartment + lavatory: capacity 40, comfort 98, 
bogie 4 compartment + lav + brake: capacity 32, comfort 98,

Here it seems that the compartments in lavatory carriages were counted with only 8 passengers per compartment, so these should have much higher comfort and maybe even higher class, than bogie carriages without lavatory. Or the capacity should be increased to 50/40, and comfort set only slightly higher. Anyway the comfort value seems to be quite high anyway, so it might be better to reduce the comfort of non-lavatory carriages.

jamespetts

The six  wheel five compartment lavatory carriage is actually an early corridor carriage, so each compartment has fewer seats in (4 aside) it to take account of the room taken by the corridor. 5x4x2 = 40, so the capacity is correct. This was actually the first British lavatory carriage.

The comfort of the carriages is significantly influenced by the fact of having a lavatory, and this is intended.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

Ok 6 wheelers are then OK. But the bogie carriages have the same comfort with or without lavatory.

Vladki

Quote from: Vladki on February 08, 2019, 07:54:54 AM
bogie 6 compartment: capacity 60, comfort 98
bogie 5 compartment + brake: capacity 60, comfort 98, capacity should be 50, picture is OK for 5 compartments
bogie 5 compartment + lavatory: capacity 40, comfort 98,
bogie 4 compartment + lav + brake: capacity 32, comfort 98,

Sorry to reply myself, but the GNR bogie carriages are IMHO wrong. The lavatory carriages should have higher comfort than non-lav. I'm not sure which should be changed. Also the capacity of the non-lavatory brake carriage should be reduced to match 5 compartments.

jamespetts

Looking at the comfort calibration spreadsheet (which I had to restore from a backup because it seems to have been erased by a recent commit), the GNR non-lavatory Howlden carriages were intended to have a comfort of 73, so I have corrected the comfort accordingly. I have also amended the capacity of the brake carriages to 50.

Thank you for your report.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.