News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Train headcodes

Started by fam621, February 20, 2019, 10:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fam621

Hi James, I was thinking (although wont be directly worked on as there are bigger fishes for you to fry) can you add a feature which allows you to input train workings into timetables and when a train is working that service it uses that headcode abit like in real life if you get what I'm saying.

jamespetts

This would be a cosmetic rather than economic feature. There is currently a very long backlog of balance critical economic features to add and critical bugs to fix - a backlog of very many years' worth of work unless significantly more coders start working on these projects soon. No non-trivial feature that is not balance critical will be added until these have been completed. I should note that, although you do not specify in any detail how this would work, from what I understand of what you want, adding a feature of this sort is likely to be exceptionally time consuming and may take more than a year just working on this feature alone.

This sort of feature is in any event not compatible with the design of Simutrans-Extended, which is for all but minor features to have some in-world economic significance: even the livery feature is planned to be given such significance by automatically updating to the latest livery when vehicles are overhauled (when the overhaul system is introduced), thus signifying when this has occurred.

Adding features using which has no effect on the actual economic workings of the game is likely to make it harder for players to interact with the game, as it would be unclear which features do and which features do not matter for a player seeking to engage with the game economically.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

fam621

A vehicle overhaul system is coming?!?!?!?!?

DrSuperGood

QuoteA vehicle overhaul system is coming?!?!?!?!?
Yes, among many others.

However for now the most critical thing to fix is the random multiplayer desynchronization that has prevented people from progressing with the server game.

jamespetts

Quote from: thegamer7893 on February 21, 2019, 08:33:52 PM
A vehicle overhaul system is coming?!?!?!?!?

See here and here. However, work on that is suspended pending the fixing of the critical bugs, including the loss of synchronisation issue. That bug is especially difficult, and so I can only work on that when I have a block of very many hours free, as no useful progress can be made in less than 3-5 hours in a stretch.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.