News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Platform discussion

Started by Vladki, February 28, 2019, 08:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vladki

The other day I got inspired to do a proper platform, with big round roof and roof windows.

Google image search: https://www.google.com/search?biw=1804&bih=893&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=ViR4XJv-L6qtrgSHlZaADg&q=malm%C3%B6+centralstation+banhall&oq=malm%C3%B6+centralstation+banhall&gs_l=img.3...97385.98516..98709...0.0..1.235.735.7j0j1......1....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i30j0i5i30j0i24.kjY8d6dc2Qw#imgrc=IKHyrSzs2e8mDM:

The google link above goes to a picture search with lots of hits for Malmö Centralstation, a station which have these iconic arches above the platforms.
While drawing, I first reallized that I could not make stops with more than 1 "height", and the structure is so big that it doesnt fit into one 128*128 square. It was only a problem for the graphics with the platform on the lower side of the track, but I came around it by defining the topmost part "backimage", while the rest is "frontimage".

Anyway, here is a picture of the painted platform:

To show the vehicles inside the station, I for fun replaced the lower platform building with just a normal platform:

Although I think it looks surprisingly good, I think it would be a shame to hardcode the platform this way..

Then i ran into an issue:
On the real station the platforms extend beyond the covered platform. When you try to do that with my platform this is the result:

The end cap on the buildings will not be displayed.
Unfortunately it wont be possible to paint the end cap on to each segment, as that would be visible through the roof windows. I would love a datfile parameter that forces the platform to use the end cap when it is in the end of similar platform, but that is probably not going to happen.
I could make an extra platform object that always paints endcaps but that would clutter the toolbar too much I think. Any ideas?

Make the roof on the end tile end in the middle of tile.

Edit: Discussion moved out from the pictures thread by Ves

Ves

Yes, but that would only give half a tile worth of roof free platform, plus it would screw up the ending of the roof window which I think is very nice looking now. I would like to be able to extend the platform many tiles, as it is in reality.

Vladki

You can have different image for the middle tiles and for the end of platform tiles. So the middle tiles will be covered completely, and the end tiles only partially. It need not be exactly half, it may be more or less. It can be even just the glass wall, and roof free platform, but that would look funny if you build only 2-tiles long platform ;)

Ves

Quote from: Vladki on February 28, 2019, 09:44:29 PMIt can be even just the glass wall, and roof free platform, but that would look funny if you build only 2-tiles long platform
Indeed! I actually thought about that, but that still would only give me one roof free platform tile, and it would also always leave a roof free platform, even in situations where you would prefer it otherwise. In the british pakset I like to have 2-4 tiles covered with roof and then additional 2-4 tiles uncovered, mostly so that I can see whats occupying the platforms. I would prefer to be able to do similar in this pakset.

Playing around with visibility inside the station, another way to make that visible is to remove the roof on the middle sections :P

... but I dont think thats the way to go, especially since consistency would demand that all covered platforms should be treated in the same way.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Vladki

Just wonder if the "hide buildings" feature could be used to "uncover" the station - i.e hiding the front images or some parts...

Ves

Thanks James!
I seem to remember some clever method made by someone in pak128 or the comic pakset I believe, where in the sliced view the roof would disappear. However, I dont understand how that was done, and I cant find the thread it was described in.
Just for confirmation from whoever would know: Is it possible to build stops with a height of more than 1?

Otherwise, yes it could be usefull if the "hide buildings" also hided (or rather faded away in player color) all player buildings, including covered platforms.

Vladki

Quote from: Ves on March 04, 2019, 05:56:52 PMI seem to remember some clever method made by someone in pak128 or the comic pakset I believe, where in the sliced view the roof would disappear. However, I dont understand how that was done, and I cant find the thread it was described in.
Just for confirmation from whoever would know: Is it possible to build stops with a height of more than 1?
I think I remember that too - I think it was a station building higher than 1, and so the top part disappeared when you used sliced view or hidden buildings.

Vladki

Back to the original topic. You could make it as 3 different stations: with roof (where the end tile has the nice end at the edge of tile like now), special transition (has end of roof everywhere), and just platform.

And maybe fourth, with open hall to see inside