News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

[addon] bulk barges

Started by R1dO, July 05, 2019, 08:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R1dO

From my experience in the early game i felt that the transportation by water was missing the ability to transport bulk goods.

A good incentive to try out addon creation, see link (available untill 2019-08-04) . It contains a pak-file and sources.

Please note:
- This pak is heavily influenced by the existing oil/gasoline one by prissi and the bulk carriers of Timothy.
- I had to duplicate the existing tugboat to overcome the existing "Constraint[Prev]", using a different name to prevent object duplication warnings
- The parameters are taken from the existing oil-barge, with some adjustments (reflecting the absence of costly equipment for oil safety and storage tanks)
- Do not expect any profits for them (when using grain, sand or stone), those barges are mostly intended to prevent costly detours around bodies of water

Hope this is of use to anyone

prissi

Sorry for missing this. I would like to include them to the official pak. That would also solve the Tugboat issue.

ACarlotti

Quote from: R1dO on July 05, 2019, 08:30:42 PM- I had to duplicate the existing tugboat to overcome the existing "Constraint[Prev]", using a different name to prevent object duplication warnings
There has been some discussion in the Extended forums about possible changes/extensions to the constraint mechanism that would avert this issue. This is a change that would probably worth implementing for Standard (and then using the same implementation for Extended), so perhaps it would be worth continuing the discussion there. If my suggestion in that thread (or something similar) meets the approval of other Standard developers then I could turn it into a patch; however, I would like some agreement on the mechanism first to prevent wasted work or incompatibilities.

R1dO

Quote from: prissi on August 17, 2019, 02:42:30 PM
Sorry for missing this. I would like to include them to the official pak. That would also solve the Tugboat issue.

I'd be honored if it is included.

Since the link is now expired. Where you able to download it before or should i put it up again?

@ACarlotti Unfortunatly my experience in this matter is too limited to actually provide useful feedback i am afraid. However i do feel that it sounds like a mechanism addons could benefit from.

prissi

Unfortunately, I missed it entirely

R1dO

Uploaded it to https://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/pak64-bulk-barges.zip (valid till Sep 17 2019).

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
If adaptions are needed to better integrate with the official pak just let me know (or feel free to adapt it yourself).