News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Quick Reference Guides

Started by Matthew, May 11, 2019, 01:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

I have written a 'cheat sheet' to remind me of the keyboard & mouse shortcuts for this pakset. It also contains reminders of some points that I often forget (e.g. the details of how passenger routing works). If it is of interest to you, feel free to download it (PDF here). I know that the keyboard shortcuts are already displayed in the GUI, but I find those icons too small and pale for practical use.

Compiling the info also meant that I discovered how to speed up and slow down in-game time (relative to real time). For the last decade I have only known about pause and fast-forward....  :laugh:

I have also started making a spreadsheet of the liveries. At the moment, I find the liveries somewhat inaccessible. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I think you have to select every single livery possibility every time you enter the depot in order to see what's available. The idea of the spreadsheet is that you can choose your vehicle on economic grounds and then see what, if any, livery options are available. Just doing the boats took a while, so it may never be finished. But @wlindley's helpful pakset analysis utility saved a huge amount of typing, so many thanks to him.

I hope to offer these files to the Git repository in due course, but my head is still full of Perl for the time being.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Ranran(retired)

I know a number of simulation games where the wasd key is assigned to map scrolling, and I'm used to it.
I think it is strange to use the 1234 key to scroll the map. Because the relationship between the number and direction is difficult to understand.
I tried to change the key binding, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to change the map scroll in Simutrans. (´・ω・`)
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

Matthew

Quote from: Ranran on May 11, 2019, 02:09:25 PM
I know a number of simulation games where the wasd key is assigned to map scrolling, and I'm used to it.

I used to play WASD games back in the last century. I'd forgotten about those! This makes me feel old.....

QuoteI think it is strange to use the 1234 key to scroll the map. Because the relationship between the number and direction is difficult to understand.

If you use a numeric keypad, then the keys line up exactly with Simutrans' isometric view.

QuoteI tried to change the key binding, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to change the map scroll in Simutrans. (´・ω・`)

Maybe ask in the Simutrans-Standard forums? Perhaps they would know more about key bindings.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal

Jando

Nice sheet, thanks for sharing!

jamespetts

Thank you for this! That is most helpful. I have stickied this, as this is a useful reference.

As to the scrolling, the idea is that one uses the arrow keys (including the numeric keypad) to scroll, which seems more intuitive to me than using W, A, S and D.

In relation to the liveries, this system is planned to be modified somewhat when the new vehicle maintenance features are introduced in the future.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Matthew

The Quick Reference Guide has been updated to correct errors and to respond to Ranran's helpful comments about the numeric keypad.

The Liveries Index (ODS) is now complete for all forms of transport. It looks prettiest with the Liberation Sans fonts, which are available here and here (though I think they are installed automatically by LibreOffice, if you already have that).

Matthew

The Quick Reference Guide has been updated to add the $ shortcut, correct typos, and remove references to auto-laying signalling (which is rarely useful in Extended).

The times and scales guide has been updated to include economic data scales and correct an error.

jamespetts

Surely automatic placement of signals is useful in the track circuit block working method?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Matthew

The Quick Reference Guide has been updated to add the block reserver and freddyhayward's helpful tip about laying unidirectional signals.

Quote from: jamespetts on June 26, 2019, 07:37:09 PM
Surely automatic placement of signals is useful in the track circuit block working method?

I said rarely useful, not never useful. :laugh: But you are probably right. To be honest it's a long time since I have got far enough through a game to reach track circuit block.....

Matthew

I have updated the Quick Reference Guide to add the new keyboard shortcuts and adapt to the new, themed GUI. The PDF is here.

Matthew

The Quick Reference Guide has been updated with the new Shift+click shortcut for Station Details.