News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

[BUG] Can build electrification over other company ways with access.

Started by DrSuperGood, May 20, 2019, 04:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSuperGood

Not too sure if this is a bug or an intended feature. In either case there is something wrong with it.

The mechanic being described by this report can be seen on the Bridgewater Brunnel server @5704,3177 (Stony Pointbourne Road Railway Station).

The age of steam is over so I am migrating to electric rolling stock. To do this I have to electrify the tracks. For my own tracks this is fine but some stations and lines are owned by other companies which I share access with. To save time I drag selected the entire line for electrification and to my surprise my electrification was constructed over another company's rails. When one tries to explicitly do this it is not possible, the drag selection will not permit starting on other company lines. However it will allow other company lines to be electrified as long as the dragged segment starts and ends on your own rails.

Now depending on the correct behaviour there is a bug in either case.

• This is intended behaviour: The bug is that one cannot explicitly start or end drag selection on other company ways. This is a consistency issue.
  • This is not intended behaviour: One is not meant to be able to electrify other company's ways. This is an exploit.

Vladki

I have seen similar behavior with tram tracks over  other players roads (or stops on public road) . I could not end the track on the stop, had to build through.

Matthew

There is a logic that would explain this: you can electrify/build tram track in order to connect to your own ways, but not otherwise. Obviously in reality building a workable system by this method is likely to run into difficulties with sidings, passing loops, etc.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

DrSuperGood

In my opinion the correct behaviour would be to allow it but also allow the track owner to keep the right to destroy the track and implicitly remove the electrification if he desires so. This preserves their rights as track owner but also allows change over points to be electrified by other companies if they require electrification.

jamespetts

Thank you for your report. This was indeed a bug: it should not be possible to modify other players' ways, just as in reality. I believe that I have now fixed this: I should be grateful if you could re-test with the next nightly build.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

Quoteit should not be possible to modify other players' ways, just as in reality
Except in reality one can negotiate with another company to come out with silly but entirely possible contracts such as the rails being owned by one company but the electrification and right to use it being owned by another. Sure it is not something that usually happens, but it is something that could happen.

In any case consistency is important so I am happy with the change if it works (need to test still).

jamespetts

Quote from: DrSuperGood on May 30, 2019, 05:28:24 AM
Except in reality one can negotiate with another company to come out with silly but entirely possible contracts such as the rails being owned by one company but the electrification and right to use it being owned by another. Sure it is not something that usually happens, but it is something that could happen.

In any case consistency is important so I am happy with the change if it works (need to test still).

What you describe in reality is not the same as what existed previously: negotiating with other owners to contribute to the cost of electrification is a long way from being able to lay one type of electrification (which might preclude another type that the owner wishes to lay) on the owner's ways without the owner's permission.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.