News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

[BUG] Cannot clear own reservation on other company way.

Started by DrSuperGood, May 20, 2019, 03:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSuperGood

Reservation clear tool cannot be used on other company ways, even if the route is reserved by your vehicle. Due to other bugs resulting in reservations not being cleared correctly one might need to remove your reservations off of another company's way but currently cannot do so.

I would suggest adding an "or" test to check if the person using the tool is either the owner of the way or the owner of the reservation on the way. I do not think this could be abused since if everything was working properly one could have the same effect by rescheduling the vehicle you own.

I am aware the ideal solution would be to fix the actual reservation clear bugs rather than this. However this is a useful work around until all the reservation bugs are accurately reported and fixed.

The particular case that caused this report is that aircraft sometimes do not unreserve runways when runway length is changed. However I have not tested this enough to give an accurate bug report other than "sometimes it happens". To solve this I had to remove the aircraft as I could not remove the reservation off the other company owned runway.

jamespetts

This is a not entirely straightforward question, since modifying reservations on other players' ways might in some cases result in deadlocks on those other players' ways (especially in railway situations).

I should be interested in any detailed feedback on the cost/benefit analysis of this requested feature (this is not a bug, since it was never intended that players be able to modify reservations on other players' ways).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

DrSuperGood

Quote from: jamespetts on May 21, 2019, 09:54:19 PMThis is a not entirely straightforward question, since modifying reservations on other players' ways might in some cases result in deadlocks on those other players' ways (especially in railway situations).
One can do this already by changing the schedule of your vehicle while it is on another company's ways. In the case of trains all reservations will be removed and the train will revert to drive by sight mode until the next signal. If one really wants to be malicious one could just leave the schedule window open and block the way.

Hence I do not think that clearing reservations on other players ways is an issue, as long as it is restricted to only vehicles you own, since you can kind of do this already by rescheduling the vehicle. The only reason it is needed is because bugs potentially break reservations and without that tool to manually remove them you cannot fix them.

Vladki

I also think that removing reservation of own vehicles on other players ways should be allowed

jamespetts

Thank you both for your assistance. I have now modified the code so as to allow clearing a reservation of one's own vehicles on another player's ways. I should be grateful if people could check with to-morrow's nightly build to confirm that this works correctly.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.