News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

'Replace stop' tool not documented in help

Started by Matthew, May 23, 2019, 04:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew

In the 'Special Construction Tools' toolbar, there is a tool called something like 'replace stop' (see attached image).

Could anyone please tell me what this tool does and how is it used?

It does not seem to be mentioned in the help files.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal
Available in English and simplified Chinese
如果您喜欢玩Simutrans的话,那么说不定就想看《日本铁路之旅》(英语也有简体中文字幕)。

Vladki

It is for changing schedules. If you want to make all vehicles that call at stop/platform a to stop instead on stop/platform b use this tool. Click on the tile that is in the schedule first and then on the replacement stop.

Useful when rearranging stops or rerouting lines.

Matthew

Thank you for explaining that, Vladki. I'll try it out.
(Signature being tested) If you enjoy playing Simutrans, then you might also enjoy watching Japan Railway Journal

DrSuperGood

I thought it worked the exact same as it does in standard... It literally moves all lines that have a stop at that tile to a new tile.

jamespetts

Thank you for noting this. Is there any help text for this in Standard? If so, may I ask where it is located?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Matthew

I've written & tested a new paragraph for simutrans\text\en\special.txt that explains how to use the tool:

<p>
<em>Replace a stop:</em> This tool can be used to replace a stop in the schedules of all of the convoys and lines that use it. It can also be used to change the scheduled tile within a stop (for example, to move all the lines to a different platform of a railway station). After selecting the tool, click on the stop (or part of a stop) that you wish to remove from the schedules and then on the stop (or part of a stop) that you wish to use in future. All the convoys that previously used the first stop will now use the second stop. Depending on the setup of your schedules, there may be some disruption to convoys travelling to the first stop at the moment of the change.<br>
</p>

It's in my repository in the Helpfiles branch as commits 83ec13d and 7e2b7cb, but I haven't yet worked out how to make turn them into a pull request, because I polluted my master branch with stuff that you won't want.

jamespetts

Thank you for that; I have now incorporated this manually.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Matthew

Quote from: makie on June 01, 2019, 08:56:03 AM
Links to the Translator for special.txt

Extended:
https://makie.de/translator/script/edit.php?obj_id=121354&index=67

Standard:
https://makie.de/translator/script/edit.php?obj_id=25039&index=58

Thank you for these links and for the gentle hint; SimuTranslator is completely new to me.

However, I would appreciate some guidance about whether it is helpful or not to add the help text I have written to the English translation for Extended. I read the Translation Rules and the Texts page of the wiki, but they assume that people want to translate the existing Master Translation into their own language. Is it acceptable to add new content to the English translation?

makie

Quote from: Matthew on June 01, 2019, 04:30:52 PMIs it acceptable to add new content to the English translation?
yes it is

we have a lack of people who document and write help texts
for standard as for extended, for English and for other language
In truth, we have not had anyone for a couple of years

Any help is gladly taken, we could need someone to take care of it.

Matthew

Quote from: makie on June 01, 2019, 05:41:28 PM
yes it is

we have a lack of people who document and write help texts
for standard as for extended, for English and for other language
In truth, we have not had anyone for a couple of years

Any help is gladly taken, we could need someone to take care of it.

I have tried to provide suggested English translations for the 'Replace stop' tool in Simutranslator. I think they now require approval?