The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Hospital chain  (Read 325 times)

Offline Václav

• Devotee
  • formerly VaclavMacurek
  • Languages: CZ, EN
Hospital chain
« on: July 06, 2019, 03:59:39 PM »
Recently I wanted to see situation in this pakset and so I started game. And aside of else industries, I noticed also hospital chain. I am not sure if current form is good idea but may it be. Let's talk about something else - face of that hospital.

I started game in year 1930 - and what I saw? Hospital with heliport that is built almost like a monoblock (I am not sure if that is correct word).

Heliport
  • the first usable helicopter was avaialble in year 1938
  • helicopters capable of transportation of people were available much later
  • helicopters constructed specially for transport of patients are almost current solution

Monoblock
  • hospitals built in 1930's and earlier were not built as monoblock (at least I don't know about any)
  • (at least massive) building of hospitals as monoblock began between 1960's and 1980's

Both Prague's hospitals built in 1930's are not built as monoblock. I beg your pardon for non-translated names.
  • Nemocnice Na Bulovce (NNB)
  • Ústřední vojenská nemocnice (ÚVN)

Both hospitals called above have heliport - but they (heliports) were built much later. In case of NNB, it is on hill inside hospital area, not on roof of any building (because even newer pavilions were not designed to have heliport). ÚVN was later totally re-constructed and heliport was placed on roof of one pavilion.

Other hospitals are much older (beginning of 20th century, end of 18th century) or much younger (1970's).

So, current face is usable, but for later ages. And for the first half of 20th century is needed to paint something else - for example something like this

This building (the largest of all on photo) was built in the second half of 19th century and serves as maternity hospital. Used style: English new-renessaince.

Offline Leartin at

• PAK-DEV P192C
  • Languages: DE, EN
Re: Hospital chain
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 06:29:47 PM »
Well, the hospital in use is the Med Campus 3 of the Kepler University Clinic -> https://www.google.com/maps/@48.3026579,14.3118828,558a,35y,270h,39.26t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=de
As you can see, the depicted buildings are actually just part of the full hospital, I suspect it's the newest part, so quite modern indeed.

You seem to take issue with the heliport. Indeed, a hospital in 1930 would not have a heliport, given that helicopters were not available. This would also be true for the oil platform, which has a heliport too, and is available in 1925. Which is a bit early for an oil platform in general. To me, this is no big issue - or rather, it's just a tiny example of the much bigger timeline-issue that cannot be prevented. For example, look at any piece good. The unit for piece good is pallets. Pallets are an invention of the 20th century, since they are only useful together with forklifts. So if you don't want anything anachronistic, you run into trouble here - you could not have any piece good before 1920. Silly, right?
Besides, it's a comic pakset. With a giant squid for ink. I don't think it's hard to believe that in this world, helipads were used much earlier. Or, perhaps, that they used hot air balloons ;)

You might think the issue could be prevented by always using older buildings. That's partly true, I guess, but not completely. Since they don't change their design once buildt, you are always stuck with a specific time period. Having horse carriages in front of the hospital in the 21st century is no better than helipads in 1930. You may go for a more generic look - if my hospital did not have a helipad, I'm sure it would be much more acceptable - but that's not too good either, since it means everything looks generic.

I'm not opposed to another hospital in the pakset, but it's very low priority to me. Especially since the hospital chain is not connected to anything else so far, and might not be what people want (and all buildings of it could easily become curiosities, too)

Offline Václav

• Devotee
  • formerly VaclavMacurek
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 09:32:39 PM »
Thanks.

As I see that screen on maps, all buildings of Kepler Universitätsklinikum looks quite modern or at least well maintained.

Offline Leartin at

• PAK-DEV P192C
  • Languages: DE, EN
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 09:15:12 AM »
While a hospital existed there since 1863, it was mostly destroyed during the war, and there was a major rebuild/refurbishing from 1982 to 2002.
Which is, by the way, another reason historical accuracy can become a problem. The game typically starts 1930, a difficult time in German history. At least for the first 15 years of game time, you really don't want the game to represent reality at all.

Offline Václav

• Devotee
  • formerly VaclavMacurek
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 10:57:21 AM »
Generally, hard to say if hospitals take positive or negative role in history.

For example, NNB. It was hospital where Heidrich was operated after he was assassinated. And he died there. But important is, why this hospital - simply because place of assassination is very very close to this hospital. If assassination was done elsewhere (near else hospital) ...