The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Improvement of the convoy detail window  (Read 203 times)

Offline Ranran jp

• Languages: ja
Improvement of the convoy detail window
« on: July 08, 2019, 01:27:00 PM »
Gentlemen and gentlemen, and boys and boys. Welcome to teriyaki house. I kept you waiting for a long time.  :-[
Ranran took a break for a while and nurtured the spirit.  :star:
So I am now refreshed and restart the cooking of this patch. (´・ω・`)

Please relish the new UI seasoned by Ranran.  :coffee:

Convoy detail window has been greatly Ranranized by introduction of convoy formation picture this time.

As you can see, it was again divided into three tabs. But unfortunately there is no added button so it works fine.  ;)

IMO, at present, the convoy detail window is easily polluted with cargo information and is inconvenient.
Extended is more informative than the standard, and further implementation of the planned overhaul will cause more mess.

So I divided the information into three groups.
(1) Information on vehicle specifications
(2) Vehicle capacity and cargo information
(3) Information on vehicle maintenance

Upper area:
Some information has been moved into the tabs to make the tab area wider.
Added display of tile length.
The number of vehicles was added to the number of station tiles. (This is the same as the depot window)
Many texts are shared with the depot dialog so there is almost no need to add a translation.

Convoy formation picture:
From top to bottom
- Cars number: Purple numbers indicate vehicles currently having upgradable targets. Bidirectional convoy is numbered in reverse on return trip. The locomotives on the front side are numbered L1, L2....
- Shaped vehicle bar: The shape corresponds to whether or not it can be at the front/rear and bidirectionality. The color will be displayed for maintenance.
- Loading status bar: Gray means can not be loaded, Yellow means empty, Orange means full loading, Dark purple is overcrowding, other than that is lime green.
If there are multiple classes, the bar will be split.
- Goods category symbol.

[General tab]

This is intended to make it easier to look at the whole spec.
I don't speak English so I don't know what name is appropriate for this tab. Is "specs" suitable for this?
The vehicle number is displayed to make it easy to understand the correspondence with the formation picture above.

BUG FIX:
It has been integrated because there was a duplicate display on tilting equipment this way so far.

[Cargo tab]

This tab displays the same image as the formation picture.
A loading bar is displayed, which corresponds to the color of the goods.
However, this bar was regrettable and could not be sorted by goods. (´・ω・`)
It would be helpful if you could get help on this issue.

The ratio to overcrowding capacity is visualized.

[Maintenance tab]

Information about upgrade is here. Information on overhauls should be put here too.
You can also check the information of the applied livery scheme.

How's it?

The github repository is here.
https://github.com/Ranran-the-JuicyPork/simutrans-extended/tree/basic-constraint-extension
Now you can taste this code.  :coffee:

I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

(´・ω・`)らんらん♪
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 05:31:34 AM by Ranran »

Offline Matthew

• Languages: EN, some ZH, DE & SQ
Re: Improvement of the convoy detail window
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 04:13:36 PM »
Gentlemen and gentlemen, and boys and boys.

;D This is the truth, but hopefully it will change sometime soon.

Welcome to teriyaki house.

JA: どうもありがとう!

EN: Thank you so much!

The smell coming from the kitchen is soooooo good!  :D
The menu even has pictures and the food looks fantastic.  :star:

I know that we must wait until this patch has finished cooking, but I think it will be very enjoyable when it is ready!  :thumbsup:

Upper area:
Added display of tile length.

The tile length display is helpful.

[General tab]
<snip>
This is intended to make it easier to look at the whole spec.
Is "specs" suitable for this?

The Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary says "specs" are "a detailed description of something, especially the design and materials needed to produce something".

The OALD says that "specs" is North American English. I think Extended uses British English, so it should be "spec". However, a quick look at some recent data suggests that both are now used in British English.

[Cargo tab]

This also looks very clear and helpful.

As the formation picture already provides the information, perhaps the on-map graphic for each vehicle could be displayed here? IMHO it would look nicer, though it would not add any more information.

[Maintenance tab]
Information about upgrade is here. Information on overhauls should be put here too.

This area (and the picture in the Upper Area) are the most important parts of the whole patch, because (as you said) they prepare the UI for the convoy maintenance, re-combination & overhaul system. If players become familiar to the new graphical symbols now, then it will be easier for us to adapt to the new depot UI later. So this patch is more than a fix to one window: it's a contribution to the top current development projects.

You can also check the information of the applied livery scheme.

This is especially helpful as I don't this information is available anywhere else.

I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

As well as the detailed comments, I would also like to note one big error and to suggest a couple of possible extensions.

I don't speak English so I don't know what name is appropriate for this tab.

I completely disagree!  :P Based on your posts in this forum, you can certainly write technical English, which is what is needed here. If your English is adequate for an international engineering project, then you have already reached a high standard.  :thumbsup:
(I taught English for many years and this is my professional opinion based on the available evidence).

The overall design of this window looks very good. However, if you are moving to a design with tabs, would it be helpful to delete the Convoy Details windows and place all this information as tabs in the main Convoy Information window? The disadvantage of this plan is that you would have to move some buttons. I know that the buttons and you have had a bad relationship in the past. ::'( Maybe you can patch up the relationship...?  ;D

Another idea would be adding a drop-down box to change the livery of the vehicle(s) in the Maintenance tab. The current livery drop-down box (in the Lines Window) does not work unless players use very short stop names.

But these two ideas are extension requests. The changes in Ranran's patch seem to me to be entirely helpful.

Offline Ranran jp

• Languages: ja
Re: Improvement of the convoy detail window
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 03:03:15 PM »
Thank you for your feed back.

The Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary says "specs" are "a detailed description of something, especially the design and materials needed to produce something".

The OALD says that "specs" is North American English. I think Extended uses British English, so it should be "spec". However, a quick look at some recent data suggests that both are now used in British English.
Gneral tab has been changed to cd_spec_tab to be translatable individually. (cd stands for convoy detail.)

As the formation picture already provides the information, perhaps the on-map graphic for each vehicle could be displayed here? IMHO it would look nicer, though it would not add any more information.
The first layout I came up with was to arrange the vehicles side by side and create a table under them that shows the value of the specs.
It will be a horizontal layout in long convoy.
That is, tons of "Weight", "Capacity" things are displayed only once.
But the biggest problem was that the name of the vehicle was quite long. It will not fit in the table. (´・ω・`)

The result is a layout that follows the current one.

There are some reasons for not using vehicle pictures in tabs other than spec tab.

First of all the size of the vehicle breaks the layout.

When the vehicle is large, the area on the right is largely cut.

The numbers were added because it was difficult to distinguish when the freight wagons or passenger cars of the same appearance are connected in series, but I thought that it would be easier to understand the relationship if it was combined with the Formation picture and the picture above.

For example, it is intended to be easy to identify when one of the wagons is outdated.
When the overhaul function is added, it is assumed that the vehicle requiring the overhaul is immediately identified by the color.

Based on your posts in this forum, you can certainly write technical English, which is what is needed here. If your English is adequate for an international engineering project, then you have already reached a high standard.
It is mainly due to my ghost translator - Dr.GoogleTranslate:-* However, she needs to be aware that she is not good at translating Japanese.  :-X
In many cases, there is no subject in Japanese, so it is necessary to add a subject and have him translate. Sometimes I break up into sentences and then restructure it.  She sometimes makes funny translations so I change sentences at that time.
Also, there is a big gap between everyday conversations and technical terms and often she can not even understand.

However, if you are moving to a design with tabs, would it be helpful to delete the Convoy Details windows and place all this information as tabs in the main Convoy Information window?
I know that the convoy detail window has been integrated into the convoy information window in the current standard.
However, I think there are advantages to being split into two tabs. You can open two windows at the same time and check them side by side.
Also, extended has much more information than standard. And convoy information window mainly gathers information of the whole one convoy. For example, the cargo information displayed there is cargo information of the convoy total.
The convoy detail window focuses on the vehicles that make up the convoy. For example, the cargo information displayed there is a cargo for each vehicle.
In that way, I think that there is currently a clear differentiation between the two windows.
However, the point that I am currently unhappy with the convoy detail window is that I can not return to the convoy information window from that window.  ::'(