News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

[Pak 128.Britain-Ex] Island nations v2, a large Map (2766x2760)

Started by 1993matias, April 18, 2020, 09:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1993matias

Hello everyone,

Not to give up after many failed attempts at procuring the original map, I went to recreate it myself. Hours of painting heightmaps, watering rivers, growing towns and laying roads - now it is here!

Island Nations version 2.0
Featuring:

• Half-height slopes
  • Manually placed rivers and river systems
  • Manually placed and grown cities
  • Three separate landmasses
  • Built in Extended
This can be all yours, simply download one of the four saves below:Unfortunately for some, I have managed to move the date to 1879. This is way too late for some players, but I do not know how to turn back time. If anybody knows how to make such time travel in Simutrans, please, do let me know

Requirements:
Simutrans Extended, latest version (I used the nightly from 31st of March)
Pak128.Britain-Ex version 0.9.3

A great thank you goes to the user Lord Vetinari for creating the original Island Nations. That map was (is) really balanced and nice to play, I had a great deal of fun with it. Here is his description, which still holds true for this update:

Quote from: Lord Vetinari on March 26, 2012, 10:28:38 PM
The map is loosely based on the British Isles area. And by "loosely based" I mean that there's a larger island with British-sounding names, another smaller island with Irish-sounding names and a stretch of mainland with French-sounding names. That's it: all geography is fictional, those cities that have real life names are in fictional places and even the land masses are out of place (for example, FakeIreland is east of FakeBritain).

So, why make a fake British Islands map when there are a lot of real ones? Basically, I started to play a randomly generated map this summer. The idea was to have large landmasses isolated by seas so that I had situations that couldn't be resolved without ships and eventually planes, so I had to extensively terraform the landmasses. I liked it a lot but I screwed up and lost the save file. So I decided to use my screenshots to make a grayscale map and generate a map with it to start from scratch. Since there's a lot of work behind it, I thought to share the map.

[...]

If you think the map is interesting and you play it, thanks for downloading. Comments and screenshots of your games are appriciated, feel free to post them in this topic.

PS: Apologies to those of you wanting this map for Simutrans Standard. But you're really missing out on some great features  ;)

Carl

Good work! Taking a look at these might finally give me a reason to install Extended.

You could put the heightmap in the neglected maps forum too (unless i'm misunderstanding and this is the same as the previous one?)
https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/board,110.0.html

1993matias

Thanks! My apologies for the rough work - a couple of rivers are not connected well, some are misaligned for a bit. Some inter-city roads are not connected either. This was a quick job, and it's clear from the result. Therefore, do not play with access to public player disabled as it will make it much harder fixing these minor annoyances.

Quote from: Carl on April 20, 2020, 10:42:52 AM
Good work! Taking a look at these might finally give me a reason to install Extended.

You could put the heightmap in the neglected maps forum too (unless i'm misunderstanding and this is the same as the previous one?)
https://forum.simutrans.com/index.php/board,110.0.html
Extended is the way to go ;) This is the exact same map as before, but there was no heightmap of it as far as I'm aware? I painted it by myself by using the map from my save.

passengerpigeon

I'm so happy to see this map again! Unfortunately, due to me running Simutrans Extended on a Mac with WINE, I have trouble rendering large maps like this one. Would you mind doing me a favor by creating a new world with the heightmap in the year 1780 and uploading it here? You don't need to add towns, roads or anything like that as I can do it myself.
Thank you,
Passengerpigeon.