The International Simutrans Forum

Author Topic: Simutrans is too hard  (Read 302 times)

Offline Sandbox Player

• Languages: EN
Simutrans is too hard
« on: May 24, 2020, 02:37:32 AM »
I can't make money in Simutrans. Every time I play Simutrans, I use the freeplay mode. Simutrans looks so hard for most players. Are there any mod to make it easier? In OpenTTD, I can just follow the subsidy and soon pay off my debt and build something I like. Can someone add subsidy into Simutrans?

Offline Václav

• Devotee
  • formerly VaclavMacurek
  • Languages: CZ, EN
Re: Simutrans is too hard
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 03:58:11 AM »
Begin with freight transportation. It helps you to prepare solid base for building of passengers and post lines. But beware of contracts between factories. You have to inspect from/to which factories is possible transport supplies/products. Some factories may need more than one good for production.

And also, here is not possible to have railway station and have it overcrowded with passengers and post after two or three train rides (like in OpenTTD). Here you have to build public mass transport network to get passengers and post on that station.

And of course, paksets (graphical sets) have various difficulty due to their balancing. But I don't think that Simutrans is too hard. Subsididiaries are not needed even in OpenTTD. I found that they help with town government. But nothing more.

If you really need to fill subsididiaries to earn money, then something goes wrong. And you may need to change your playing commons - even in OpenTTD.

Offline Andarix

• Languages: de
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 06:23:55 AM »
You can set Use beginner mode.

You can change the beginner_price_factor in simuconf.tab.

More infos see InGame-Help ( ? in titel from dialoques ) or here.

Offline makie

• Homepage PAK128-German
  • Languages: DE
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 07:26:23 AM »
What paksets (graphical sets) have you tried?

Offline Václav

• Devotee
  • formerly VaclavMacurek
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 01:21:24 PM »
I think that Sandbox Player only bothers. Read some other his posts. They are not related to current situation in paksets, and generally in whole game.

And by the way, beginner mode is good for nothing. It is really for sandbox playing. But not for serious playing.

Offline Freahk

• Languages: DE, EN
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 01:27:11 PM »
Begin with freight transportation. It helps you to prepare solid base for building of passengers and post lines.
That greatly depends on the pakset! As any balancing is part of the pakset, not part of simutrans itself.

So at first, which pakset do you use? Otherwise reasonable recommendations cannot be given.

Offline Václav

• Devotee
  • formerly VaclavMacurek
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 01:38:16 PM »
That greatly depends on the pakset! As any balancing is part of the pakset, not part of simutrans itself.
I know that balancing is part of paksets, not game core. At least a partially. Because some things about balancing is very affected by game core.

I don't know which paksets Sandbox Player tried, but I tried pak128 and pak96.comic. And both paksets need this start. Really it is hard to start passengers and post transportation without solid base from freight transportation. And that pak96.comic is much easier than pak128.

Offline Isaac.Eiland-Hall

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Providing hosting for Simutrans projects
    • pc2.io
  • Languages: EN
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 09:54:54 PM »
beginner mode is good for nothing. It is really for sandbox playing.

I disagree. If you want to play sandbox, -freeplay is the way to go, which I do. But I still have goals in the game: To try and move all goods and passengers. I just don't find the money part fun.

But for a beginner who DOES want to play for money, that mode can be helpful as you learn the game. It's much more forgiving of mistakes. You learn what does make money and what doesn't. And then when you are making too much money with that mode, you can turn it off and play a new game and see if you can still make money...

Offline Ters

• Coder/patcher
  • Devotee
  • Languages: EN, NO
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 02:04:32 PM »
With pak64, it might be viable to start with passengers and mail. It is certainly not necessary to hava solid freight network going, although the starting year might be crucial. I have so far started with a mix of passengers and freight, and it just takes a few years until I can forget about the money.