News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

[New release] Simutrans-Experimental 3.0

Started by jamespetts, April 29, 2009, 10:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

The latest version of Simutrans-Experimental is now out: see here for how to download it. Note that there is also a new version of Makeobj, and some configuration files for Pak128 (including a simuconf.tab file with detailed documentation on what each of the new settings do). The new major version number means that this version incorporates new features, and that the 2.x series cannot load saved games created by this version. Thanks to all of the people who beta tested version 2.7, including Knightly and Tick Tock.

Changes

• ADD: Cities can now be electrified by putting a substation somewhere inside the city limits, which increases their growth. Industries in cities take from the city supply and do not need their own substation. Industries have customisable power consumption. City electricity demand varies over time with electricity.tab
  • ADD: Automatic building of multiple signals (Gerw's patch - see here for details)
  • ADD: Customisable city growth speed (including the ability to disable city growth)
  • ADD: Vehicles can have a fixed (per month) maintenance cost as well as a variable (per kilometer) maintenance cost (see here for further information)
  • ADD: Weight limit enforcement can now be customised: either turned off completely, made to give overweight vehicles a much reduced speed (default and old Simutrans-Experimental behaviour), or made to prevent routing over overweight ways at all
  • ADD: Speed bonus multiplier: the speed bonus amounts can all be multiplied by a certain factor. This should help with backwards compatibility with speedbonus.tab files from Simutrans-Standard.
  • CHANGE: The time that passengers or goods spend waiting at stations and will only board the fastest line/convoy now depends partly on the overall journey time.
  • CHANGE: The private car ownership percentage is now shown as a graph in the city information window.
  • CHANGE: The colour of the "passengers" graph in the city information window is changed slightly to make it easier to read the text of the button.
  • FIX: Comfort ratings were not properly averaged for a convoy, resulting in weird numbers.
  • FIX: The minor version number did not correctly display in Linux, or on any platform on the splash screen.
  • FIX: Some further minor optimisations for the routing system.

Testing and feedback

As ever, further testing and feedback is always most welcome. I am interested in all feedback, but am particularly interested in: (1) bug reports; (2) feedback on computer performance; and (3) thoughts on how the game balances with the new features compared to Simutrans-Standard, and how the new features affect strategy and gameplay. Happy testing!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

knightly

Hi James,

First of all, thanks for the alternative options for weight limits. :D

I like the idea that end consumer stores consume electricity from city -- that saves the hassle of removing buildings to make way for power lines and transformers. May I know if more power plants will automatically be built when the cities demand more electricity as they grow?

For this part of code :

if(open_list.empty() || iterations == max_iterations)
      {
        open_list.clear();
        delete[] path_nodes;
      }

I guess you may want to add "search_complete = true;" within the if body too. ;)

I started a brand new game in v3.0 and the game crashed shortly after I had set up a bus line in one town. :( I can't give more specific details regarding the crash, like what triggered it, for I wasn't performing any action when the crash happened. The only thing I can add is, before setting up the bus line, the game didn't crash.

ansgar

Hi,

you did add gui/signal_spacing.cc to the Makefile, but it is missing from the Git repository.  The build for Linux failed for this reason.

Regards,
Ansgar

jamespetts

Ansgar,

oops - I have fixed that now. Thank you for pointing that out!

Knightly,

I am glad that you like the electrification features :-) More power plants will indeed be built to satisfy city demand, in just the same way that they are built in Simutrans-Standard to satisfy industry demand.

As to the other issues - I will have to look into those and revert to you. Thank you very much for your feedback and testing!

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

mwoodburn81

I am having problems loading my 2.X saved games with 3.0

Standard out shows...
Loaded /home/mwoodburn/Desktop/simutrans/pak128/sound/engine-start-diesel-0.wav to sample 12.
could not load wav (MPEG Layer 3 data not supported)
Reading menu configuration ...
Midi disabled ...
Calculating textures ...Creating cities ...
Distributing 1 tourist attractions ...
Preparing startup ...
Loading BDF font 'font/Prop-Latin1.bdf'
Unexpected character (255) for 255 character font!
Loading BDF font font/Prop-Latin1.bdf with 255 characters
World destroyed.
Calculating textures ...FATAL ERROR: planquadrat_t::rdwr()
Error while loading game: Unknown ground type '0'

Aborted
mwoodburn@linux-j7o4:~/Desktop/simutrans>

The 2.X game was created with Linux, I have tried to load the game with both the Linux version of 3.0 and the Windows version (inside a VM) of 3.0

Colin

Hi James,

Being an avid Simutrans player and one who tries everything new that is ever released, I saw, (on one of my now infrequent visits to this forum) your Experimental Simutrans. I downloaded v3.0 and gave it a try with PAK64. I experienced the same problem as Knightly, when you open the road depot as soon as your cursor gets anywhere near the vehicle Simutrans crashes. It doesn't happen with trams. I don't know about any other transport medium as I haven't tried them yet.

One thing though, I may be missing something here but, What is the difference between Experimental and Standard? They both seem the same on first look.

Regards

Colin
PS: Is it absolutely necessary to enter ones language everytime the game is started?
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

jamespetts

MWoodburn81,

thank you very much for your bug report - I have now found the problem, and it is fixed in Simutrans-Experimental 3.1.

Colin,

I have not been able to reproduce the crash in the depot, but, to be sure, make sure that you are using the modified en.tab file supplied in the configuration files package for Simutrans-Experimental. It should not ask you for the language every time that the game starts: instead, it should store your choice in a file called settings-experimental.xml in the ..\My Documents\Simutrans folder in Windows, or the /home/[USER]/simutrans (or possibly /home/[USER]/.simutrans) directory in Linux. If this is not happening, there may be an issue. Try downloading the latest version (3.1) and see whether either of your problems still recur in that version.

As to the ways in which Simutrans-Experimental differs from Simutrans-Standard, see here for more information. Note, however, that that has not yet been updated to include new features introduced in version 3.0.

I am very grateful to both of you for testing Simutrans-Experimental :-)

Colin

Hi James,

Thanks for your quick response. My problem may be different than Knightly's. I've downloaded 3.1 and the game still crashes as soon as the cursor approaches the vehicle in the depot. I might try a stand alone version with a clean install.

Where are the configuration files for Experimental, I'm just using the latest PAK64, I think it's r151 from weirnerman.

Regards

Colin

edit no 1: Ok I've tried a stand alone and I still have the same problem with the Road Depot.

Language problem now solved

edit no 2: Problem exists with trucks and trains, not with trams, boats or planes. Would you like a copy of the saved game?

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

mwoodburn81

I am having the exact same crashing with the depot window problem as Colin.  For both 3.0 and 3.1

jamespetts

Hmm, that's very odd: that's not something that I have been able to reproduce. Yes, please do send me the saved game (upload it to files.simutrans-germany.com). Are you both sure that you've put the en.tab file into your ..simutrans/text directory?

Colin

Quote from: jamespetts on May 02, 2009, 08:17:42 AM
Hmm, that's very odd: that's not something that I have been able to reproduce. Yes, please do send me the saved game (upload it to files.simutrans-germany.com). Are you both sure that you've put the en.tab file into your ..simutrans/text directory?

Well I'm using en.au and it seems to be working fine, but if that was the problem why would it affect only the
Trucks and Trains and not the others.

Ok done, let me know if you get it ok.

Thought for the day

mwoodburn81

doing a
cp simutrans/en.tab simutrans/text/en.tab 

DID fix the problem.

Thanks james.

jamespetts

Colin,

in light of MWoodburn81's reply, can you try using the supplied en.tab, and putting it in the /simutrans/text directory?

Colin

Quote from: jamespetts on May 02, 2009, 03:39:28 PM
Colin,

in light of MWoodburn81's reply, can you try using the supplied en.tab, and putting it in the /simutrans/text directory?
Hi James,

Thanks for your quick reply, This has fixed the problem.

I must have misread your posts because I didn't discover where to get the EN TAB that you were talking about until I read your update 3.3. Even then I thought that they were just for the PAK 128. I only tried it out curiosity. MY BAD SORRY.

Best Regards

Colin

Thought for the day

jamespetts

Colin,

that's all right - I am glad that the problem is fixed for you :-)