News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

[New release] Simutrans-Experimental 3.5

Started by jamespetts, May 07, 2009, 10:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

A new version of Simutrans-Experimental, version 3.5, is available to-day, which fixes a number of bugs, and makes some small enhancements. It also contains all the latest updates from Simutrans-Standard. For information on how to download the new version, see here. A list of changes follows.

Changes

• CHANGE: Percentage sign now displayed in electricity substation dialogue boxes.
  • CHANGE: Where the actual waiting time is unknown, "waiting time unknown" is displayed instead of the default waiting time.
  • FIX: In some circumstances, travelling time could be recorded incorrectly as zero.
  • FIX: Incorrect "No suitable ground" message when building industries.
  • CHANGE: Optimised the code for calculating a vehicle's running costs (now only checked every 256 steps, instead of every step)
  • CHANGE: Setting congestion_density_factor to 0 in simuconf.tab enables a new, simplified computation of city congestion.
  • CHANGE: Some small optimisations in the calculation of congestion
  • FIX: Possible overflow in the calculation of waiting times
  • FIX: Crash when deleting substation in a city
  • FIX: Crash when using ships and enforce weight limits was set to 2.
  • CHANGE: Replace "int" with "uint32" in replace_frame.cc and gui_convoy_assembler.cc/h to see whether this makes things better for 64-bit systems.

Feedback and testing

Thanks to the growing number of dedicated testers for Simutrans-Experimental for all of the hard work put in finding the bugs and issues fixed above. Further testing is, of course, most welcome, and I should welcome any feedback, particularly (but not only) bug reports, information as to how Simutrans-Experimental performs on various systems, and discussion as to how the new features in Simutrans-Experimental affect game play and strategy. Thank you again for all the testing - happy experimenting!

Edit: Incidentally, whilst I have not been able to isolate what is causing people periodic crashes in some cases without doing anything in particular, it might well be that one or more of the above fixes incidentally solves that problem in any event - I should be grateful if those experiencing intermittent crashes could try it to see.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

tick tock

James -

Would it be possible to sticky (if that's what it's called on this forum) the latest new release post whenever you introduce a new version?  I note that you update the "How to get Simutrans-Experimental" post in this forum whenever you make a new release, but it may be worthwhile to sticky the latest release post as well.  Of course, with each new release you would "unstick" the post that announced the previous one.

I ask because your new v3.5 post was already 5 posts down on the page within 1/2 hour of its release today and for those of us who don't regularly check the "How to Get ST-Exp" thread, it's easy to miss the new release.

Thanks for your consideration.

colonyan

Hello. I get this message when I click on experimental icon to start the game.
Im using windows vista and pak 64.

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please
see the application event log or more detail."

As instruction, I've placed the experimental icon in simutrans folder, where starndard simutrans icon is.
I believe I'm missing,,, what it can be?

And thank you for your hard work!

Colin

Hi James,

I've just tried 3.5 and the game freezes even before the welcome message has finished scrolling across the bottom. This is with a SVE from 3.4. I went back to 3.4 and it worked ok. Please note this was with an SVE not a new game, new games start ok.

Regards

Colin
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

jamespetts

Colonyan,

thank you very much for testing Simutrans-Experimental :-) Try downloading one of the following packages and see whether this fixes the problem for you: MFC redist. for Vista 32 bit, or MFC redist. for Vista 64 bit.

Colin,

hmm - I have not intended to change the save game version. I shall have to look into this. In the meantime, can you upload the saved game with which you are having trouble? I have loaded games saved in 3.4 successfully in 3.5.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

colonyan

Quote from: jamespetts on May 08, 2009, 11:15:44 AM
Colonyan,

thank you very much for testing Simutrans-Experimental :-) Try downloading one of the following packages and see whether this fixes the problem for you: MFC redist. for Vista 32 bit, or MFC redist. for Vista 64 bit.

Nope, it didn't. It gave me exactly same message.

jamespetts

Colonyan,

sorry that you are still having problems. This seems to be a Vista-specific issue, and there are a large number of articles on other applications - including mainstream applications such as Yahoo! Messanger - having this problem. You might have a look at a Google search for "side-by-side configuration" and see what you come up with. See here for an example.

One question - is your Simutrans-Standard the SDL or the GDI build?

Colin

Quote from: jamespetts on May 08, 2009, 11:15:44 AM

Colin,

hmm - I have not intended to change the save game version. I shall have to look into this. In the meantime, can you upload the saved game with which you are having trouble? I have loaded games saved in 3.4 successfully in 3.5.

Hi James,

Sorry for the late response I've been having a bit of a problem with my LAN connection. I will upload the SVE today. If I've already done it let me know as I've lost some data.

SVE is titled Experimental 3.4.3 but use 3.5 to try and load it.

Best Regards

Colin
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

colonyan

Quote from: jamespetts on May 08, 2009, 10:26:34 PM
Colonyan,

sorry that you are still having problems. This seems to be a Vista-specific issue, and there are a large number of articles on other applications - including mainstream applications such as Yahoo! Messanger - having this problem. You might have a look at a Google search for "side-by-side configuration" and see what you come up with. See here for an example.

One question - is your Simutrans-Standard the SDL or the GDI build?

When I execute it it gives me 2 windows so it should be GDI.
I remember I tried also on SDI with 3.4 and yeah,,, it did not work.
Anyway, I can't wait to test your branch.

jamespetts

Colonyan,

I am not sure that I quite understand the answer, because I was asking about Simutrans-Standard, and you are referring to 3.4, which is a Simutrans-Experimental version number. Am I right in assuming that Simutrans-Standard works for you? If so, is it the GDI or SDL version of Simutrans-Standard that you use? If so, if you try the other version (i.e., Simutrans-Standard SDL if you use GDI, or Simutrans-Standard GDI if you use SDL), does it give you the same problems?

Glad that you're keen to test Simutrans-Experimental, though,

James

colonyan

Oh, sorry for making confusion.
For standard, both works just fine.
(just note: SDL works smoother and load faster)

jamespetts

Colonyan,

ahh, that's interesting - I didn't know that SDL was smoother. Simutrans-Experimental uses the GDI build. Do you have any idea why SDL is smoother and/or faster? Incidentally, the side-by-side configuration error message is caused by a .dll dependency error. The only thing of which I can think is that some or other system .dll file has been upgraded on my computer between compiling the release version of 3.4 and the release version of 3.5, and you have an earlier version on your machine. Because the error is specific to your computer, I can't do a great deal to track it down, I'm afraid.

Edit: Try 3.6 to see whether it works any better for you - I installed an updated version of the Microsoft SDK. In the meantime, I am trying to find out how to compile an SDL version that might work better for you.

colonyan

Regarding SDL smoothieness,,,, Hum I don't know exact reason why its smoothier but one thing is that I cannot type asian character
and SDL gives only one window(I assume you know this ofcourse...)
It also so that, query button sound effect is not played on SDL.

I will try 3.6 in one or two days. Kind of busy...