News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Industry road timeline

Started by jamespetts, August 22, 2021, 12:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

The next nightly build of Simutrans-Extended will have a new feature: an industry road timeline. This applies to all roads generated between towns and industries or attractions (public buildings) in place of the existing inter-city road types. The existing inter-city road types remain in use for roads generated between towns and other towns.

For the purposes of diverting public rights of way, a road outside a town is treated as an inter-city road if it has one or more town to town routes on it, or else it is treated as an industry road.

I recommend that pakset authors update their simuconf.tab files to take advantage of this new feature. The syntax is as follows:

industry_road[0]=name,1900,1920
industry_road[1]=name2,1920,1950
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

wlindley

In 1830 it is odd to see both a textile mill and a tiny sheep farm both lay an expensive Macadam road.   

Would it be desirable to have small industries, such as farms with their relatively small outputs, build with the "previous" type? 

I admit I am unsure how "small industry" would be defined, without a running percentile of production/usage capacities,  as those will vary over time.  Nevertheless if this is desirable I will give it more thought.

jamespetts

Quote from: wlindley on August 31, 2021, 01:21:27 PM
In 1830 it is odd to see both a textile mill and a tiny sheep farm both lay an expensive Macadam road.   

Would it be desirable to have small industries, such as farms with their relatively small outputs, build with the "previous" type? 

I admit I am unsure how "small industry" would be defined, without a running percentile of production/usage capacities,  as those will vary over time.  Nevertheless if this is desirable I will give it more thought.

If one were to do this, one would simply define different levels of industry and give them custom roads each rather than using the previous road. However, a critical issue would be on what basis that one divides industries into categories - there would need to be some basis for this. Consideration would also need to be given to whether this is ultimately worthwhile as doing this would entail a significant amount of work.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.