News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Station Revenue

Started by cascadia, May 13, 2009, 12:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cascadia

If we ever get around to allowing players to make revenue from their stations by building rental spaces for shops and such, how should it work?  Should players build the restaurants and shops themselves or will it be merely a rental system?  Obviously, more passengers passing by equals more revenue, but should we take into account the time they stay there too, or would that create too much disinitiative for players to build a more efficient transport network?

colonyan

Little bit of both I think...
In other games, they are introduced as a mean of supportive ways to gain extra income,,,,

Current simutrans is so that as long as player does not intend, one can not go into
the situation where one wats to use every occasion to make profit.
In almost all pak unless one is begginner. Nor ST has fluctuating economy or simulation of that.
So income is stable unless, again, the player do extreme movement such as huge costly
construction all the sudden.

Me personaly, think that ST needs tax of some kind to just harrasse player artificially to urge him/her
to run his/her company more efficiently. When that situation comes, maybe this kind of alternative
profit raiser option might be interesting. Games is more fun under constant pressure, ofcourse contorlled...

whoami

Quote from: colonyan on May 13, 2009, 12:52:08 AM
Games is more fun under constant pressure, ofcourse controlled...
I think that the recent changes to really punish the player for overflowing stations (both in ST-main and ST-exp) provide a lot of challenge even for well-developed games where money isn't an issue any more.

More on-topic: additional revenue from visitors and passengers would not be difficult to implement and handle, but it mostly adds incentives to focusing on large stations in dense city areas, which already provide high levels of revenue just by passenger transport.