News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Simutrans-Experimental installer

Started by KrazyJay, May 13, 2009, 06:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyJay

Hey James. Great work you're doing here, really. I was just wondering, is there an easier way to install the latest version rather than downloading, unzipping, copying and pasting into the right folder, and play. I'm starting to get the same feeling as with the nightlies, I just can't keep up... wouldn't a small updater that starts with windows be very useful, like a virusscanner checks for updates daily? Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, please ignore my question and apologies then.
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

jamespetts

KrazyJay,

thank you very much for your interest in Simutrans-Experimental! I have split the topics, because this is not really about release 3.8 in particular. I do plan eventually to give Simutrans-Experimental an automated installer for each platform, so that one only has to download the package and run it in order to get a complete installation of Simutrans-Experimental, the configuration files, and one or more compatible paksets.

However, during the current phase of beta testing, that is not practicable due to the frequent updates, and lack of currently available fully compatible pakset. It would not make sense to spend time coding an automatic updater when a full installer will eventually be provided: those coding resources are better put into improving Simutrans-Experimental itself.

I am very glad that you are interested in the project, however. Do let me know what you think of the new features!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.