News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Map scrolling is now very inconvenient with the mouse

Started by Ranran(retired), April 16, 2022, 11:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranran(retired)

I have incorporated some commits based on prissi's suggestion, but that has changed the map scrolling with the mouse. However, the behavior is the same as in standard. Notice the position of the mouse pointer after scrolling the map with the mouse. This is different than before. Map scrolling operations that were previously possible may now be interrupted. That is, scrolling by right-dragging was never interrupted until release, but is now interrupted because the (hidden) mouse pointer moves outside the simutrans window. In some cases it is interrupted and in others it is not, and this is one of the reasons for the annoyance. (I do not know how this difference arises. Perhaps this specification is not a problem only when playing in full screen, where frames are eliminated.)

Anyway, it is inconvenient to have the mouse pointer in an unintended position (outside the game) when the right button is released. It interferes with a continuous sequence of actions. For example, the mouse pointer may be hidden but still moving, focusing on another dialog. It is easy to temporarily lose track of the mouse pointer position. This can lead to unexpected misoperation.
ひめしという日本人が開発者達の助言を無視して自分好みの機能をextendedに"強引に"実装し、
コードをぐちゃぐちゃにしてメンテナンスを困難にし(とりわけ道路と建物関連)、
挙句にバグを大量に埋め込み、それを知らんぷりして放置し(隠居するなどと言って)別のところに逃げ隠れて自分のフォーク(OTRP)は開発を続けている
その事実と彼の無責任さに日本人プレイヤーは目を向けるべき。らんらんはそれでやる気をなくした(´・ω・`)
他人の振り見て我が振り直せ。ひめしのようにならないために、らんらんが生み出したバグや問題は自分で修正しなくちゃね(´・ω・`)

prissi

If one wants to be able to scroll with a finger, then there is no easy way out. One might reposition the mouse after a button up event, but not earlier. Then the scrollign would still stop moving when reaching the screen border, but the mouse could appear at the starting position.

Positioning at every scroll event is impossible, since the finger stays the same position after repositioning, and hence the offset between moved to and appreaded at position would increase on each event even without moving.

If there would be a reliable way to decern between finger and mouse, then I would use it. But unfortunately it does not work.

wlindley

This change is greatly irritating.  Have been a Simutrans player since 2008.  Surely there can be a config for traditional mouse/trackball versus whatever you mean by "finger" --- laptop pad perhaps? 

prissi

A touchscreen for instance. But of course, nobody expects infinite scrolling with a touchscreen ...

But window for instance returns mouse messages for some touchscreens but touch messages for other devices. I have two convertable tables, and none of them should any pattern. One give finger messages with finger, but mouse messages when using the pen.

You can enable infinite scrolling in the display options, click under the inverse scrolling setting. This settings will be saved in the gloabl saving settings.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: prissi on April 16, 2022, 02:30:09 PMYou can enable infinite scrolling in the display options, click under the inverse scrolling setting. This settings will be saved in the gloabl saving settings.
Thanks for the info. I had missed it. However, players who are unaware of the newly added options will probably miss this, and older players who play on PC may be confused by the changes. It would be preferable for such players to have scroll_infinite=true by default, but this is not the case...

Since Extended does not support Android and I do not think it is suitable for smartphones in terms of performance, I have made it so that Extended basically operates the same as before by setting scroll_infinite=true by default.

prissi

If zou use a touchscreen, then scrolling on windows has the same problems if this option is turned on. Essentiallz, in such cases the position jumps to the edge of the maps in whatever directions.

wlindley

I use a trackball, which has always permitted me to right-click-and-hold and scroll endlessly without stopping.

Now, if the cursor happens to be at the left side of the screen, if I right-click-and-hold, rolling the ball to the left does nothing at all.  Likewise for right, top, bottom of screen.

prissi

Just enable infinite scrolling again manually in the display settings, and everything will be as before.

Quote from: prissi on April 16, 2022, 02:30:09 PMYou can enable infinite scrolling in the display options, click under the inverse scrolling settings.

If this does not restore the previous behaviour, then complain again please.

Ranran(retired)

Quote from: prissi on April 20, 2022, 02:04:18 AMJust enable infinite scrolling again manually in the display settings, and everything will be as before.
I don't know the details as I haven't heard back from James, but it seems that when I incorporated the small change to add that button it caused (again) a significant drop in performance and it was not incorporated into extended. But I don't know why it regressed again and the problem that was fixed is back.