News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Change maintenance settings?

Started by Colin, May 15, 2009, 06:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin

Hi James, This is off topic, but can you tell me if it is possible to change the Maintenance settings?

Moderator: Split topics
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

jamespetts

Colin,

I should be grateful if you could start a new post for a new topic - it'll save me the trouble of splitting the topics :-) Can you elaborate on what you mean by changing maintenance settings here? Which settings do you want to change?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Colin

Quote from: jamespetts on May 15, 2009, 02:58:17 PM
Colin,

I should be grateful if you could start a new post for a new topic - it'll save me the trouble of splitting the topics :-) Can you elaborate on what you mean by changing maintenance settings here? Which settings do you want to change?

Hi James what I meant was the Monthly maintenance charges. Because I advance the game at a fast rate building fast railways etc, even though I start with 20million, the profits generated can't keep up with the monthly maintenance charges. I'll post a screenshot of my maintenance table here later today.

Sorry about not starting a new post, I'll remember next time. Oh yes! There is no way that I'll stop playing Experimental. I think it's a terrific advance for Simutrans and I congratulate you on your work.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

jamespetts

Well, the maintenance cost for each item is set in the individual .pak file. If you wanted to change the maintenance costs, you would have to get the sources for the .pak set, adjust the maintenance costs in each of them, and make your own easy version of the pak set in question.

However, Simutrans (including Simutrans-Experimental) is designed to be challenging to play, which means that if you don't make sure that your lines are profitable, you will soon run out of money - just in real life. However, if you want to play without worrying about money at all, you can always turn on freeplay mode.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Colin

Quote from: jamespetts on May 15, 2009, 09:56:55 PM
Well, the maintenance cost for each item is set in the individual .pak file. If you wanted to change the maintenance costs, you would have to get the sources for the .pak set, adjust the maintenance costs in each of them, and make your own easy version of the pak set in question.

However, Simutrans (including Simutrans-Experimental) is designed to be challenging to play, which means that if you don't make sure that your lines are profitable, you will soon run out of money - just in real life. However, if you want to play without worrying about money at all, you can always turn on freeplay mode.
Thanks James,

My fast train lines are quite profitable but the maintenance charge wipes out the profitability of those. I've just had a look and all my transports, Trams, Boats, Trains/passenger/freight/trucks are all making a profit, (all except two trucks which are currently losing $20 each)
But I'm almost $500m in the red.

Oh well! I guess I'll just have to play in free mode until I get the hang of it. :'(

Thought for the day

jamespetts

My suggestion is: be more conservative with your building. Build one profitable line, and wait for the point where you're making an overall profit before you start building more.