News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

[Survey] What tutorials would you like to be written?

Started by IgorEliezer, May 19, 2009, 05:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IgorEliezer

I would like to know, what kind of tutorial that you would like to see?

We have the Wiki that explains the concepts of Simutrans and what each tool does, but a new player needs step-by-step tutorials that teach how to build and work with things of Simutrans. Example: Building a road

I would like to have a small list of tutorials, which will be our priority, and, when ready, we will include them in the Wiki.

Well, I start proposing these ones:

- Building your first good network
- Building your first passenger network
- Building your first mail network
- Building an airport
- Creating a line

vilvoh

Long time ago, some people requested an extensive tutorial about how to build a good airport, so imho that would be a good starting point. On the other hand, a short tutorial about mail networks would encourage people to use them more often.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

jamespetts

A tutorial for how to set up railway signalling would be a good idea, as that tends to confuse a great many newer players.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Envite

I would like to see a tutorial about how to make tunnels and subterranean networks, thanks

blindape

I agree with jamespetts, I have spent a lot of time trying to understand and effectively use signals on rail networks and I still don't have a complete grasp.

Arek

i need a tutorial about add ons creating (i read the tutorials i've seen in the forum, but i still don't know how to create a good png file and a complete dat file)
Thanks!

vilvoh

I'm afraid that will be difficult to achieve as there're so many different objects, thus there's not only one way to create any kind of addon. People might write tutorials about how to create the main objects as vehicles, factories, etc.. but each kind of object is different from the rest, so the images and the dat file attributes change from one to another.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Spike

I've tried to write a few example DAT files with PNGs for a variety of objects:

http://www.funkelwerk.de/forum/index.php?board=11.0

The newer examples have quite extensively commented DAT files, which should help to get started and create your own variants. The older ones still might work to get you started.

Electricity

I'd like a tutorial on how to even install the game on a mac.

An_dz

dekema2

IgorEliezer

Quote from: dekema2 on December 23, 2012, 03:30:38 AM
Will there be an airport tutorial to be made?
Hmm... it would be nice. The only airport tutorial I know of is in Portuguese: http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/07273.0/index.html . Perhaps, a translator may help, for now.

jessfarnsworth

Rail Signal and network tutorials would be of much help.  They are confusing, and I know I for one would like to see this implemented

ӔO

Quote from: jessfarnsworth on March 04, 2013, 11:21:40 PM
Rail Signal and network tutorials would be of much help.  They are confusing, and I know I for one would like to see this implemented

Is this not helpful?

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=10472.0

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jessfarnsworth

unfortunately I tried to load that save game tutorial for signals, and I got a no narrowgageway error and a crash.
thanks anyhoww

Austrax

Vladki

The signalling tutorial needs pak128.britain.
However the info about signals is then applicable to all paksets

Carl

Quote from: jamespetts on May 19, 2009, 03:19:33 PM
A tutorial for how to set up railway signalling would be a good idea, as that tends to confuse a great many newer players.
Interestingly I thought this was much more confusing in OTTD than here (this was back in 2010, mind). Notwithstanding your new Experimental signalling system, James ;)

I think tutorials on the very basics are probably useful. Setting up and editing a line is a good one.