News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

[Mac] Game not launching

Started by CapLor, May 07, 2024, 11:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapLor

Hey,
So I'm stuck with a MacBook for a while and decided to play Simutrans to ease my suffering.

But on latest MacOS Ventura 13(latest) the game(latest Steam and download version) does not launch.
After looking for the executable it throws out the "Bad CPU type in executable" error, perhaps that could be the issue? Knowing Mac a little it could be also that the version is set wrongly in the plist file.
This could be a quick fix, I am happy to provide more info if necessary to anyone willing to help.

prissi

Since none of the programmer owns a Mac, we entirely rely on the github build and feedback. Github can only build intel macs, as far as I know. (Or rather, it was like that a year ago.) Hence, rosetta seems needed, which according to some websites is no longer automatically installed. Also it needs 64 bit intel code.

Again, without a mac we rely on cmake to do the magic correctly. (We could update to MacOS 14, which would be arm, or do a second build, on runner on macos-12 and one on macos-14 which would be arm.

Since we probably have to do a bugfix release in the near future, this is on the todo list.

CapLor

Thanks, good to know fixes are planned for the platform. Fortunately I still got the intel Mac.
For the future I will try to help with some feedback.
I appreciate your work!

Roboron

According to https://docs.github.com/en/actions/using-github-hosted-runners/about-github-hosted-runners/about-github-hosted-runners#supported-runners-and-hardware-resources macos-latest/macos-14, which we are using to build the macos version, is M1 (arm64) architecture only.

But Steam does not have the option to package arm64 software. I guess this makes sense, as Steam itself is a x86 application.

For now, this means I will need to stick to macos-13 to build Simutrans for Steam. But what about the future? At some point the old runners will stop being available...

Anyway, @CapLor, I have updated the Steam Simutrans build for macos and it is now the Intel one (or it should be). Please, try again, and thank for your report.

CapLor

It runs!

For the future I will likely switch to windows. I got one of the last intel Macs from 2017 and time starts to take its toll on it anyway.
Compatibility on Mac is a hassle and from other games I know supporting Mac is pain (eg.Vintage Story dropped support) and Apple is rather hostile is these manners it seems.

For now, huge thanks for the quick help you folks are amazing!