News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Prevent deletion of rivers

Started by jamespetts, May 26, 2009, 09:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Currently, it is possible for an ordinary player to delete a river, which does not make a great deal of sense. It might be useful if this were prevented.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Combuijs

In real life small river are filled up as well, or rerouted. If it is not to difficult I would like to have the possibility to do both. So perhaps a "rivertool" could be made? In combination with the current "delete" tool, this would do the job.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

colonyan

Yes, small rivers, they can be derouted. The problem is that we can delete larger river too...
It also sounds funny to "reconstruct" those accidentally removed river section.

VS

Maybe... ensuring that every delete of river (not canal) leaves a valid path downwards to the sea would help? It would enable terraforming by diverting the river to a side channel and then removing the old riverbed.

Additionally, if the tile in question is end of way, it could be removed freely (removing starting from spring)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jamespetts

VS, that is a very intelligent idea about checking for a path to the sea, to enable rerouting of rivers. Perhaps, in that case, deletion of rivers should be made very expensive?

As to deleting the source of the river, would that not just enable people to delete the entire river starting at the source and working downwards? I do not think that deleting the source makes any sense.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

IgorEliezer

I think any river can be altered only by Public Player (or by Player, at high cost): first you build an alternative curse, later you can delete the original curse; deletion of rivers without an alternative curse should be prevented.

It's normal that urban rivers suffer some alterations in its curse. It happens even in real life and this could be useful when you want to shape a city to accommodate new roads and new buildings like big stations or stops.

Tietê River, São Paulo, Brazil (1930?-50?)

(although, as urban planner, I think this abominable :()  

Fabio

Quote from: VS on May 27, 2009, 09:46:34 AM
Maybe... ensuring that every delete of river (not canal) leaves a valid path downwards to the sea would help? It would enable terraforming by diverting the river to a side channel and then removing the old riverbed.

Additionally, if the tile in question is end of way, it could be removed freely (removing starting from spring)

i like this option. a continuity test (the same as a pathfinding) should be performed before allowing the deletion