News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Freight Traffic in Another Games

Started by colonyan, May 27, 2009, 06:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonyan

1.Cities XL
Coming city builder game which will incorporate massively multiplayer online mode.
Allows(requires) players to trade goods between them to city grow or increase its wealth.
Given that I was imagining scene where(with ST graphic), all cities request goods on their on
and also increase in wealth as well as conventional volumic growth.

2.Freecol
You need to transfer different type of goods using chariot and ships bakc to europe.
Player need to assign which city to produce what good, efficiently.

Playing other game might give you some fresh sensation about moving things.
Except first one is not out yet... until september.
Anyway happy gaming! ;D

vilvoh

I think all this is somehow already possible with the current version of Simutrans, as you can place the industries where you want (inside or outside the cities) but there're two main differencies: the industry chains are based on map zones not in cities and you can't force the player promote some goods over others.

The first scenario can be reproduced if you place the consumers near each city in the map, and the producers next to the rest. That way, to make the city grow you have to trade with other cities.

The second scenario is pretty similar to the first, but it's an all-to-one approach. Place the consumers in wherever you want far away from the consumers zone. Then, all consumers must be in the same area or city. Each production zone would have a different set of producers.

So, as you can see in some way you may simulate those freight traffic approaches.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

VS

Comparing Freecol and Simutrans... daring ;)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

colonyan

I don't compare Freecol to ST in term of transportation game.
Just that it was so natural how it creates(or its original) need for transportation.
It is very convincing. What is produced where depending on geographic
environment and what city can afford to have what factory depending on players
choice and required population to support the factory.

vilvoh

I think that what VS tries to suggest is that both are different games. One is based on cities needs, and the other is based on transport networks needs. The game mechanic is pretty different in both cases although the final goal is the same (consume and produce goods)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Spike

Widelands is an open source Settlers II clone. Settlers II had a strong element of way-construction and goods transport to develop the settlement.

VS

colonyan: thanks, now I see what you meant.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!