News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Making graphics

Started by Maragil, June 03, 2009, 05:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maragil

Related to my new factory chain post, i'm wondering how to make vehicles etc for simutrans..

H./

vilvoh

It's loong to explain, but you can start drawing the eight views needed (S, SE,E,NE,N,NW,W and SW) then we can talk about the dat file. Have a look at the SVN or graphics.simutrans.com for more examples.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

The Hood

as vilvoh says, you need to end up with a png and a dat for the vehicle as in the examples on SVN.  Two main methods to do the images:

1. 3D model rendered 8 ways (e.g. blender) - I do my stuff this way because it doesn't require any drawing skill and allows detail quite easily.

2. Pixel paint (i.e. draw in a paint program pixel by pixel).

dantedarkstar

The one drawback of rendering method is that you can't get the "player colors" on the model easily (am I right, or is there a trick for that ?). That applies only to vehicles and stations of course - industries and city buildings don't need "player colors".
Links+Tutorial: Make heightmap of any part of world !
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=2210.0

The Hood

@dantedarkstar - player colours are not easy in rendering - you will notice pakBritain doesn't have them, there is a reason for that ;)

VS

Raven used to render in black+blue and then reduce palette to Simutrans specials+grayscale. It worked great.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!