News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Sticky windows

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, June 12, 2009, 01:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I find myself occasionally wanting to close a bunch of windows (sending 100 convois back to depot results in 200 open windows) all at once, EXCEPT for a few windows (depot, map, tool menus).

Perhaps it would be relatively easy to add a 'pin' button to each window menubar by the 'X' close button. Pressing this would prevent the window from being closed when pressing escape or backspace (I forget which one closes all windows because I don't use it -- but I would with this feature :) ) -- or actually, make it immune to both keypresses...

(this was inspired by discussion about the right-click window hide feature -- that feature makes it more useful to keep windows open more permanently during gameplay, and this request would make it even easier... the next request would involve being able to save and reload window positions (not automatically, though, because if you change resolution or accidentally get something offscreen, there has to be some way of getting it back or starting fresh-- but that's for another day :) )

z9999

I also want to keep some windows opening, so backspace key is useless for me.
I personally want a feature to close all "magic_none" windows instead of all windows than pin button.

missingpiece

This is about windows alright. So I want to add my windows request to this one : make windows and dialogs remember position and size ( I have just enlarged the line management windows in width for the 500th time #!%&§"§)/%$"! )

prissi

Actually we have sticky windows for some time. If you want to keep a windows open but not a jammer minimize it with the right mouse button.

missingpiece

Oh, oops, I had not realized the pin yet.  :-[ Went right in and checked. That helps. Hmm, had not really thought about this feature. Had posted here cause I wanted to put my own request into a similar existing topic.

Windows remembering their position would still be nice...  ;D

VS

IIRC a pinned and minimized window should remember and (mostly) not get in the way...

Prissi mentioned it, but it seems like lost in the text, unless you already know about it. This is toggled by right-clicking the bar (not a button).

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

missingpiece

The minimizing feature is cool. Glad I found that out early in the game.
Thing with minimized windows is.....I forget where they are and cannot find them sometimes. Pressing the button ( if it has a shortcut ) will bring the title bar to the foreground but I am still overlooking it at times.

Maybe I'm just too tired at night, after work, when I'm playing....  :P

prissi

One could of course connect the bring to front with unminimizing. That is actually very easy and a good idea.

MagnusA

In the Message Centre Options there is a possibility to select how messages are displayed (scrolling text in status bar, temporary window or permanent window) for different kinds of messages. However, I don't know which one to use for "arrived to depot" messages, if any.