News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Post your journals and saved games

Started by jamespetts, June 12, 2009, 10:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I should like to encourage everyone who currently has a Simutrans-Experimental saved game on the go to post their saved games here (they can be uploaded to http://files.simutrans-germany.com/), and also tell us a little about your saved game: how long that you have been playing it, what your preferred playing style is, the challenges that you have overcome, and how the features specific to Simutrans-Experimental have affected your playing style or the decisions that you have made in the game. Screenshots would also be welcome.

For those who are so inclined, I should also encourage Simutrans-Experimental equivalents of LeifInge's transport journal, "The Story of Big Bucks Bus and Rail" and the "Rogaland Challenge" (although, please start anything like that in a separate thread).

There are two reasons why I seek to encourage this: firstly, because it is fun, and very interesting to see other people's approaches; and, secondly, because it gives me a good idea how the new features of Simutrans-Experimental are working so that I can fine-tune them, adapt the paksets on which I work (PakBritain, principally) to work well with it, and provide useful documentation. I shall be intrigued to see what people post!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

LeifInge

I just want to say that i support this 110%! I would love to read other peoples stories!!! I will be more than willing to give some tips and thoughts about how I make my story, just send me a message...

I also suggest that such treads should be posted on the Simutrans Discussion thread, so that people find them :)

Bernd Gabriel

I'd like to introduce my pak64.19th Century.Experimental test environment:

It is a 1024x512 sized game using timeline.
I started back in 1850 (with Simutrans experimental (STX) 2.?) and currently 1861 has begun.
The savegame size is 5.7 MB.

It works with simutrans experimental 4.x or higher, standard pak64 plus pak64.19th Century.Experimental

The complete set (incl. win32 executable, excl. music files) size is 4.1 MB.

A look at the Overview shows my strategy:
I started to build some horse powered service islands involving the largest cities to earn some money for further investments in modern steam technology.
I widened the serviced areas and added the first steam lines.
I earned a whole lot of money then, but the fixed maintenance costs of the rolling devices were not correctly calculated (:.
Since STX 4.0 (it was in 1855 in the game) these costs are correct, except that they are twice as much as I put into the pak file.
Luckily there's still a little gain. The in-game maintenance calculation formula looks a bit strange me and I'll try to find out, why it is necessary.

Back to the game play:
I tried to keep stops and stations uncongested, but as you can see in Rencross it seems there are working more horses than inhabitants ;)
The journey is the reward!

jamespetts

Very impressive! I love your use of the viaduct in Rencross. Thank you very much for posting that. I should be intrigued to see nay progress!

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Bernd Gabriel

Yes, I am very proud of my humble brain, that - after half an hour of hesitation - it came to the following conclusion:
if a train viaduct is too large for the little town, why the heck don't you use one for carriages? 
;D
The journey is the reward!

jamespetts

Incidentally, as to the fixed maintenance cost: it is like that because months can be of different lengths. It is the same for all sorts of fixed costs in the game: I just copied the code when adding fixed maintenance costs. The code is the same for, for example, the maintenance of tracks and roads, too.

Anyway, thank you again for posting your saved game - it is most interesting. I shall be intrigued to know where you've got in 1961... ;-)