News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Getting vehicle data for paksets

Started by jamespetts, June 13, 2009, 10:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

I am currently working on producing .dat files for road goods vehicles in Pak128.Britain (see here for details), but I am finding it difficult to find enough information on the payloads, weights and maximum speeds of quite common vehicles. I have managed to produce data files in the pre-war period, relying heavily on a very fortuitous website about Thornycroft lorries, but the data there end in 1939. I have found some useful information about AEC lorries on Wikipedia, but that is lacking the all-important metrics.

When designing paksets, how does one make up for this missing information? How were these figures procured for the vehicles, for example, in Pak128 and Pak64? I should be very interested for any thoughts on how to do this effectively.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

VS

Re 128... I do not know exactly how Napik did it and I haven't had a chance to do this yet. But I assume it's first getting the data and then adjusting them to create a plausible timeline. There is a lot to consider - arguably a lot more for locomotives than trucks - so at least some guesswork and tweaking is always applied. That didn't answer your question yet, did it ;)

A definite recipe? Look at available data, plot them, decide what kind of curves these are - expect exponentials, logarithmic, linear as basic elements. Try taking into account history, eg. new inventions and so on. Extrapolate numbers. Modify to make a plausible playing environment. Iterate until players stop complaining.

That era is really far from internet and you may have more success with conventional (dead tree format) sources :D

Just a random find with engine some (scarce) data: http://www.geocities.com/britishtrucks/

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jamespetts

VS,

thank you for your input. I have found some useful information (here) about one manufacturer's engines (and power ratings) over time, which is useful. Now I just have to find out about maximum speed, weight, and carrying capacity...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

prissi

Pak64 are mainly unrealistic numbers made for gaming experience. I desteted going with 6ton truck in zillion amounts ...