News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

1898 trams

Started by wlindley, June 15, 2009, 09:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlindley

Electric streetcars or trams were introduced in Richmond, Virginia in 1887 (history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tram)... but in the standard pak64 there are no models available until 1913... so I made a set of trams, starting with the T13 tram images, modified them in Gimp, and made some guesstimates for data values... including a powered passenger, trailer passenger, and trailer mail and boxed goods cars.  It was typical for streetcar systems in USA to carry mail and light goods, and even milk, until the 1920s.

Question: Is it acceptable to modify the T13 graphics and write a new DAT file?  Is it true that the existing file is OK for modification in regards copyright, etc?  Or some guidance please on how to put this or something similar for acceptance into a future version?

Combuijs

QuoteQuestion: Is it acceptable to modify the T13 graphics and write a new DAT file?  Is it true that the existing file is OK for modification in regards copyright, etc?  Or some guidance please on how to put this or something similar for acceptance into a future version?

That is perfectly acceptable as long as you mention the originator in the copyright text. Something along these lines: "original by x, modified by wlindley.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

prissi

But your streetcar is rather a 1920ies version. The earlier streecars were much smaller. And the first streetcar run in 1881 in Berlin, so I should know ...

wlindley

Good point prissi, I'm getting the hang of this, so let me work on a small series of 1890s, 1900s, 1920s trams.

What do you think of a small milk tanker-car for use with the Food set... would that make sense?  The Phoenix Street Railway carried newspapers and other small packages ("piece goods") as well as some mail; they also carried Oil which was used by the farmers along the Glendale Interurban line.  So perhaps a small set of freight cars for the 1890s-1910 period... to fill the gap in local transportation after horse-drawn wagons and the early motor trucks?

prissi

If you feel like this; but you could run a small regular train on tram track; that is how the poeple of the old tram network di it.