News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

[patch] smoother large maps

Started by VS, June 18, 2009, 12:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS

This is only the first version, more proof of concept. Please comment! I have no idea if what I'm doing there is proper C++ :o

Concepts, notes:

• Map surface is now function of its size as well as seed
  • When enlarging map, its size changes; because of this, starting size must be saved too
  • This is saved in einstellungen_t (just like seed)
  • Old code generated frequencies and amplitudes from i; first table has exactly these numbers.
  • Tables because finding a nice function would be rather tiresome

Additionally I relocated and deleted some useless comments that were left in the middle of nowhere after some older rewrite.

Once I know it's in the proper form, it will be easy to play with numbers and create a more fine-grained set of tables for more sizes. Currently single the change at 512 is rather abrupt.

http://vs.simutrans.com/misc_files/smooth-large-maps-2534.diff

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

prissi

Do you plan to work on it further?

VS

Yes! I would like to be told, if it's correct how I am doing it now ??? Finding and filling in some data should happen with something that's not fundamentally broken.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

gerw

Quote from: VS on June 23, 2009, 08:23:21 PM
Yes! I would like to be told, if it's correct how I am doing it now??? Finding and filling in some data should happen with something that's not fundamentally broken.
It looks good. But maybe it's possible not to use predefined data but make the frequencies and amplitudes depend on the map size continuously?

prissi

VS

Not really.

It's one of the items on my list - and it is a long list. I really hate myself and that list whenever I look there.

Spike

What helped me was to change the lists from "I should do that", to "Things I can work on if I feel like it". This makes progress of my activities very erratic for other people, because I jump a lot between activities, but it helps to be more content with the activities.

Of course there are things that must be done. But not for hobby activities. In hobbies there are things that can be done. So don't feel bad with the list. It's not things to do, but future options of things that can be done if you feel bored some day.

Fabio

thank you Hajo, this make me feel better, too. I have also a TODO list but the time I can spare is extremely few and the progress extremely slow. I hate to start one thing and release it month (or years) later. Let's hope for the best.

stmaker

Version using: Simutrans v111.0
Paks: pak64, pak96.comic, pak128 openr582, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan, pak192.comic
Using: Paint.NET, Paint, Photoshop, SketchUp
Future Addon(s): Building (Link)
Current Addon(s): Eye-See Mart and Several Building addons  Ask me any questions. I'm free.