News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

[Bug 4.4] Very weird and costly bug

Started by Nathan Samson, June 29, 2009, 07:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan Samson

Hi,

Suddenly I saw a very big decrease of operating profit. (-16000 in a month) at the start of a game. After a search I noticed the problem. It was a new convoi (a cement car) which has a very high running cost (19000, compared against others of the same type (in the same time, with more or less the same distance travelld) ~20 (they are normally 0.16/km))

I followed it (and I saw its running cost was decreased more than 0.16/km (more like several hundreds)) without any reason. Then I sold it (but not before I made a screenie, not that it will help debugging the problem)

jamespetts

You don't happen to have a version of the save game before you deleted the cement tanker, do you?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Nathan Samson

Quote from: jamespetts on June 29, 2009, 08:35:39 PM
You don't happen to have a version of the save game before you deleted the cement tanker, do you?

Sorry no, I didn't think of that. (I don't even have a savegame before the loss, it was still in the early months...)

jamespetts

Hmm... it might be very hard to track down without a saved game... can you let me know if it recurs?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

Thank you :-) And thank you for the report, too.

Colin

Hi James, This problem would appear to be similar to my lack off profit woe's. My freight trains rarely make a profit, whereas my my passenger trains do, between some stops anyway. Maybe another look at the SVE I sent you might show up this problem. I must admit I haven't seen it shown as Nathan shows.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

jamespetts

Nathan's problem appears to be a specific and temporary anomaly with the running costs: that is not necessarily the reason that you are having trouble making a profit: that is more likely to be down to speed bonus settings.

Colin

Quote from: jamespetts on June 29, 2009, 09:55:20 PM
Nathan's problem appears to be a specific and temporary anomaly with the running costs: that is not necessarily the reason that you are having trouble making a profit: that is more likely to be down to speed bonus settings.

Oh well! it was just a thought.

I will be starting a new game in a few days, so I'll be able to test a new Speed-Bonus setting. It's currently on 70 which I think is the standard setting. What do you think to setting it to 60?
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

jamespetts

Ahh, yes, you could have a go with 60. Make sure to use the string, "speed_bonus_multiplier_percent=60" in exactly that format in your simuconf.tab file. If you find any anomalies such as Nathan experienced, please do let me know.

Colin

Quote from: jamespetts on June 29, 2009, 10:23:27 PM
Ahh, yes, you could have a go with 60. Make sure to use the string, "speed_bonus_multiplier_percent=60" in exactly that format in your simuconf.tab file. If you find any anomalies such as Nathan experienced, please do let me know.

Ok James thankee kindly, I will be sure to let you know, to be sure, be sure.

Edit: 1900:AEST 17:07:09.

Sorry James I forgot to let you know about this. It seems to be working fine with bonus setting on 60.

Thought for the day

Nathan Samson

I had it once again this time with another type of truck:

Latest simu-experimental git, linux 64 bit, openpak128 (latest nightly as of today (v697)), ...

The problem is on one of the trucks when you open the savegame (no 122) on the iron ore line

Saddly enough when I reopened the game it seems to have gone, so I don't know if it will help you...

Download save file

jamespetts

Nathan,

thank you for the report. You write that you use 64-bit Linux - do you compile as 64-bit or 32-bit?

jamespetts

Thank you for your reply. Still not able to reproduce this one, I'm afraid. Version 5.1 incorporated a number of uninitialised variable fixes from Simutrans-Standard - perhaps they will help? Do let me know if this recurs in version 5.1. Thank you for reporting this issue :-)

jamespetts

This is fixed in version 6.0. Thank you for the report :-)