News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Simutrans hanging at start of new month

Started by davidh, July 07, 2009, 06:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidh

Hi Folks

I'm running Simutrans 102.0 r2366 on SuSE 11.1 32bit with Pak128.

I've been playing this game for 32 days and have progressed from 1930 to 1977. From fairly early in the game I've been bankrupt; but what the heck - it's not about the money is it. At the start of each month a number of dialogs / messages appear to tell me I'm bankrupt and I usually just close them all down and keep playing. However for about the last 2 "years" (not sure exactly how long) the floowing has been happening:

At the start of a new month the "You are bankrupt" message box appears; but the dialogs to start a new game don't appear. As a consequence I can't close the "new game" dialog and I can't continue playing. The cursor changes to a standard cursor, as opposed to the magnifying glass etc so I can click on the save button and save the game; but to get out of it I have to return to the command line and kill the game, start again and load the old game in. The game continues again until the start of the next month.

AT firs this only happened occasionally; but now it's happening at the start of every month, which makes game play a little tedious. What further information can I provide to help analyze this problem?

Regards

David

mwoodburn81

If you want to get rid of the "You are bankrupt message" from appearing every month you can go to "Game Options" -> "Players"  and then check the "Freeplay mode" check box on the bottom of the dialog box.

This might not solve your hanging/crashing at the beginning of the month problem, as there is other stuff that happens at the beginning of the month that might cause that behavior

davidh

Cool, I'll try that and see if it works around the problem.

Thanks

David

Quote from: mwoodburn81 on July 07, 2009, 06:16:08 PM
If you want to get rid of the "You are bankrupt message" from appearing every month you can go to "Game Options" -> "Players"  and then check the "Freeplay mode" check box on the bottom of the dialog box.

This might not solve your hanging/crashing at the beginning of the month problem, as there is other stuff that happens at the beginning of the month that might cause that behavior

davidh

That seems to have fixed the problem thanks. It would appear that the non-appearance of the "New Game" dialog box was what was hanging the game. Because I couldn't close the New Game dialog the rest of the game was non-responsive, exactly as it would have been had the New Game dialog been present on the screen.

Whether the non-appearance of the New Game dialog is a problem with Simutrans or a problem with the underlying GUI libraries is yet to be resolved.

gerw

One blind guess:
May be the maximum number of windows is reached (due to "Station X is crowded" messages)? Or does this also happens if you close all windows right before a new month start (and maybe you could even turn off this "crowded warnings")?