News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

Cant get the pak to work

Started by LeifInge, July 10, 2009, 10:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeifInge

Cant get the pak set to work, unzipped the file into the simutrans folder, try to start but get the message "no pak sets found"

The Hood

Can you post a screenshot of your directory layout, showing where all the files are? 

LeifInge

I just downloaded the simutrans executable, then unzipped the pak files som that the pak128.britian lies in the simutrans root folder

The Hood

So you have the structure simutrans/pak128.Britain/*.pak, with simutrans exe in the simutrans folder?  Run from the simutrans folder with ./simutrans -objects pak128.Britain/ ?

Assuming you have that structure, I can't think of anything pak-related that would cause such a problem :s

LeifInge

Quote from: The Hood on July 10, 2009, 10:27:59 AM
So you have the structure simutrans/pak128.Britain/*.pak, with simutrans exe in the simutrans folder? yes

Run from the simutrans folder with ./simutrans -objects pak128.Britain/ ? what do you mean?

The Hood

By default simutrans looks for objects in the pak/ folder (i.e. pak64).  So if you try running simutrans without this folder (or without any of the other solutions below) it won't find pak files and will cause an error like you have.  Solutions to try:
1) If this is a clean install with just pak128.Britain and no others, you could rename the pak128.Britain folder as just pak.
2) in simutrans/config/simuconf.tab set the default path (can't remember the exact name of the parameter) to pak128.Britain/ rather than pak/
3) if you run from a command line, run "./simutrans -objects pak128.Britain/" instead of just "./simutrans" (that example was linux syntax, but it's the same idea for windows too, you need to include the "-objects pak128.Britain/" on the end of the command you use to run simutrans.

Hope that helps.

Spike

Quote from: The Hood on July 10, 2009, 10:48:26 AM
By default simutrans looks for objects in the pak/ folder (i.e. pak64).  So if you try running simutrans without this folder (or without any of the other solutions below) it won't find pak files and will cause an error like you have.

I have only "pak.Hajo" and no other paks installed. That still works. I don't think there must be a "pak" or "pak64" folder.

jamespetts

Try renaming BritGrounds.pak to ground.Outside.pak
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

@jamespetts - the lack of ground.Outside.pak hasn't been messing up my installation... unless the effects vary depending on OS...?

Michael 'Cruzer'

Quote from: The Hood on July 10, 2009, 11:50:02 AM
@jamespetts - the lack of ground.Outside.pak hasn't been messing up my installation... unless the effects vary depending on OS...?

If you have no ground.Outside.pak, the set wouldn't automatically find by Simutrans.
When you overgive the pakset with commandline commands this has no priority, but most people only want only to doubleclicking the simutrans excutable and play it.

So basically this file MUST exist in every playable pak-set!
Founder and Ex-Maintainer of pak192.comic. Provider of Simutrans Hosting rental service.

The Hood

@Cruzer - I now understand this, so future releases will include a ground.Outside.pak.  I only ever use command line so I never realised before this week!