News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

July Challenge - 2 Islands: Avoid Bankruptcy for 2 years

Started by Matthi205, July 05, 2009, 02:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthi205

The Green Mage of Darkness living in the summer hell and in the country where it snows till May with -21 *C  ;D

Severous

Thanks Matthi205.

Its a very small map..hard enough to make money to start with and Matthi205 has spent a load of capital on infrastructure you wont need..or not likely to need.  Theres not a lot to do so shouldn't take a long time.

Let use it unless anyone objects.

Ground rules...
- no changing player
- Challenge runs for all of July 2009

But this July challenge is open.  Matthi205..want to name it?
Regards
Sev.

Anime

nah, I don't like that level lol. Its only got 2 villages...

Matthi205

But its hard...

@Severous:I allow you to expand the map.Pick a name yourself...I'm reading too much fantasy books.
The Green Mage of Darkness living in the summer hell and in the country where it snows till May with -21 *C  ;D

Anime

I've played your challange Matthi, its really hard. When I had 2100 population I went bancrupt. Its impossible to get much profit out of those planes lol..

Severous

How about 'Challenge - Stop the bankrupting of Island transport'

And measures of success:
- Best profit after 2 years.
- Stop playing September 1933 (01:30 is exactly 2 years)
- Survive the longest (if less than 2 years)
Secondary measures:
- Population
- Net wealth

I haven't played it yet...I work full time and I'm still on Ragoland.  But if 2 years is too short we can vary this based on feedback (so keep your saves just in case)

Anime...how did you get on?  Any screenshots..or will that give away your strategy? :)
Regards
Sev.

Anime

2 years is a bit short isn't it :o? I'd prefer 5-8 years.

Severous

Hi Anime...you have played it. Did you last 2 years?
Regards
Sev.

Anime

Yeah, I did play it but I only lasted 1 year and a bit :O

Rohal

Hi Guys,

I´ve also had a look at Challenge. It would be good if the Garbage Dump and the Incanerator would be connected to each other. So that there is the possibility to transport Garbage. Or is it allowed to change to public player and connect them???

Greets

Rohal

Matthi205

Nope,I don't allow you to change to public player(yeah,I made that mistake with the two Busstations)(but to connect them,that I allow you specially)

Severous

I hope Matthi205 has got this right.  This is meant to be virtually unbeatable.

A few days ago I could think of no rules apart from no player change/no public player. Otherwise do what you can to survive.

As for term..2 years...it felt right when I briefly looked at it.  I could see players going bankrupt in that time.

Anime..you are winning.  You have lasted longer than anyone else. ;)
Regards
Sev.

KrazyJay

Sold all vehicles, torn down all infrastructure other than roads, built a canal to the waste incinerator, bought the Rvg passenger steamer, expanded the station coverages with parking lots, and got bankrupt in winter 1932. I might suppose this is not the optimal strategy, but the savegame is quite challenging, despite it's size...
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

Rohal

Hi Matthi,

I dont mean the stops at Ingolstadt. I really meant the factories ( Garbage Dump and the Incinerator) which are not linked with each other, so there is no possibillity to transport Garbage, although if you set up a route.

I have started the game without any garbage. I am now in the year 1934, and still have got 8,7k left. Atm my mounthly lose is arround 350. I think that it is possible to a short profit, if the cities continue to grow.
I know that it is possible to generate a profit. By the end of the year 1934 my company began to generate a small profit. I will upload a savegame as soon as I am back at my home pc. Here a screenshot.

Greets

Rohal

Rohal

Hi Guys,

I found a way to make small monthly profit nearly one year after the starting year of the game.

As you can see, it is still fluctuating a bit, but it works.

Greets

Rohal

Matthi205

Yes,I allow you to connect the factories.Upload saves,etc.,but don't think I will respond.I'll not be around for a month. ;)

Severous

Hi

Ive asked a moderator for this board if we can have this thread split and the game part moved into the Arena.  Hopefully that will happen this weekend.

I like small games.  But I'm not doing well.   Just three thousand net wealth left.  I could be broke if I make one wrong move and destroy something valuable.

Still Ive learnt something.  Trams.  They run on train tracks, and with train catenary electrification.  This train equipment is cheaper to build, cheaper to maintain and allows faster travel.  Definitely seems the way to go when tram tracks don't need to run along the middle of roads.  Not sure theres enough passengers to justify my use of trams here though.
Regards
Sev.

Rohal

Hi Severous,

at the beginning of this map I sold every vehicle. And the I build a bridge between the Islands.

Than I made one line connecting all stops. That gives you the possibility to earn money very early.

As you can see 1933 already a small profit.
In the meanwile I am in the year 1944 with a profit of 6-7k per month.

Greets

Rohal

Severous

Hello Rohal

I wondered what your graph was hiding in your earlier post when you reported a profit after one year :)

Has anyone been able to transport garbage?  I cant and don't think anyone can. The two industries don't have contracts to trade with each other.

Ive done two years. Survived but it was close. 
Regards
Sev.

Matthi205

CONNECT THE INDUSTRIES WITH EACH OTHER,SO THAT YOU CAN TRANSPORT GARBAGE.Everyone who wants it might do it.IT IS OK.

I think you've understood it in the last post...(connecting so that the incenerator accepts garbage!)

Severous

Ive tried. That incinerator does not want garbage from that dump. Must be the wrong sort of garbage.  But that's good. If that freight run worked it would make money and defeat the object of this challenge.

Making a profit from month one.  Monthly maintenance is much lower in this attempt.

2nd attempt now complete.  Better than last time.  Less wasted construction costs. Better dock locations.  More exploitation of passengers on the bigger island.

Think I will next try the bridge approach that Rohal has come up with.

Edit...and this was a go with a bridge. Wooden railway in this case.  Might have worked well had the garbage industry been active.  As it was the locomotive used was slow and perhaps incuring speed penalties...it wasnt very profitable despite full passenger loads.

Regards
Sev.

AP

So far as I can see, the biggest problem is the enormous maintenance payments, and primarily for those runways. Which cost $5000 per tile to demolish (so you can't!). Which is obviously the mechanism by which the map tries to be "unbeatable"

I can't get beyond 1st January 1934, although I have several ways to get to December '33.

Looking through the above, I can't quite see where people have got the funds from to demolish all the stuff they have - I go bankrupt immediately if I try that...

Severous

Bankruptcy does not occur when you go into the red.  Ive been negative for many months, years in fact in Ragoland challenge.  

Theres cash enough for immediate demolishing of the unnecessary runways and depots.  Without them the maintenance bill is much less so making monthly profits look that much better..and thats an objective.

The plane went as well. Thats never going to be profitable. That brings in cash...well a little.
Regards
Sev.

Severous

This was the last go I did last week.  A variation on the bridge idea from Rohal.

The vehicles go back and forth across the bridge to maximise income.  Constant micromanaging to prevent anything waiting too long.

I also paid the local authority to take over three of the stops.  This saved maintenance and increased the monthly profit.
Regards
Sev.

AP

Quote from: Severous on July 18, 2009, 08:17:31 PM
I also paid the local authority to take over three of the stops.  This saved maintenance and increased the monthly profit.

Cunning.

Maragil

Quote from: Severous on July 18, 2009, 08:17:31 PM

What? How can you do this?

H./

Severous

Hi Maragil

In the special construction tools is the option to make a stop public.

It is expensive.  In this short scenario it cost more to make the stops public than the total amount of maintenance saved each month. But I thought it was worth it in order to lower monthly maintenance costs and thus create a higher monthly profit figure.
Regards
Sev.

Dwachs

Epic bump!

Does anybody has the gamemess savegame on his hard-disk? This was a very exciting map :)
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.