News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

What did the Rogaland Challenge teach you?

Started by LeifInge, July 13, 2009, 08:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeifInge

It would be cool to hear if you learned anything from the Rogaland Challenge. The best way to do this is probarbly short answers that sum up each thing you've learned.

I learned:
- That a maxium passenger and mail service gives a really nice population growth.
- That micromangement is important (but time consuming) if you want as high growth as possible

VS

...that there is a lot of players, far better than me! :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Severous

As my first modern day game and first use of pak128 I learned loads

- How to play
- What I dislike about simutrans
- What I liked about sumutrans

How to play
- Obsolete sailing ships made losses. I suspect speed penalties. Must watch that.
- powerlines wont cross sea/lake but will cross a canal
- HQ adds loads of population to city
- Trams are good in cities..at passing through them ...they can hurtle down busy roads
- Trains can use tram tracks and bus stations attached to them
- Choose signals can send trains to unintended platforms. Use of 'end choose signal'

Dislike about Simutrans
- Industry spawning. Terrible. Kills the realism and satisfaction.
- Electricity supply. Need a % power supply feature
- Monthly negative cash balance message (Simutrans site says 3 months then bankrupt)..which is not the case
- Small community of players. Maybe more will participate in future.
- Unprofitable planes. Need higher paying first class/business travellers to make early era planes viable.

Liked
- Variety of modern era compared to 1800 I had been playing
- Look of long trains
- Sound effects. Awesome ships.

Regards
Sev.

AP

That people like to play on maps which have population centres improbably close to one another.  ;D

Matthi205

The Green Mage of Darkness living in the summer hell and in the country where it snows till May with -21 *C  ;D

Severous

Yes that was strange.  The garbage stations seemed to behave like Steel Mills.  Too many passengers compared to the number I expected based on the industry description. 
Regards
Sev.