News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Underground Trains

Started by chrisrose1993, July 14, 2009, 04:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwachs

Quote from: The Hood on January 22, 2012, 10:44:39 PM
The only thing I want to do is remove the annoying underground pavement (this is what is causing the grey gridlines). Is this possible to disable?
What do you mean?

The grid lines are taken from the pakset's grid line definition. The texture for tunnel tiles is this: http://www.simutrans-germany.com/wiki/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=en_MiscDef&machine_translate_to_lang=&no_bl=y#Tunnelground
Just provide an empty graphic here.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

jamespetts

I wonder whether a thought could be given to narrow gauge tube tunnels and Post Office Railway vehicles...?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

@Dwachs:
So if I set a tunnel ground to a blank object, then the pavement won't show? That should do the trick...

Dwachs

Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on January 21, 2012, 10:42:48 AM
@Timothy

Just a quick question about your station images - the pspimages are not files I can open, so I can only get at the pngs. Do the pspimages contain layers? I would like to replace the tracks with pak128.Britain tracks and add player colours instead of the red, green and blue tiling. It's not impossible using just the pngs, but if the pspimages have layers that would be easier, if only I could open them (without buying paint shop pro). If so, is there any chance you could export them into something that GIMP could open as a layered file?

EDIT:

I've had a go at editing just the png file - here's a comparison:

So far I've added player colours, darkened the whole image and removed some of the "comic" style outlines. I'm currently debating whether to remove some or all of the black outlining at the portals, but probably not. I also don't think the tracks are massively out of place after darkening, and they do align. I'm currently thinking of leaving them as they appear on the right hand image.

I have just spotted a possible anomaly in this image: the trains depicted here are, as I understand it, the sub-surface stock from the existing Pak128.Britain; if that is so, they should not be fitting through the portals at the end of the station into the tunnels, which are barely bigger than the tube stock that they are designed to accept.

Edit: Also, might there be some merit in having a special type of elevated roadway to allow us to simulate cut and cover tunnelling (dig using the artificial slope tool, fill with the elevated roadway)? The elevated roadway could use, as its "supports" graphics of the inside of the cut away sections, as depicted in the background of the following photograph:

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

If you look closely I think the surface stock is scraping the portal roof. In any case it's possibly not worth the hassle (certainly not yet) of redrawing Timothy's hand-drawn tube tunnels for the sake of a couple of pixels (although if you want to do so, I would probably use the images).

The elevated way idea for cut and cover is plausible (and indeed has been done before in the days before true underground mode was introduced). The main issue I can see is one of balancing - given the discussion in the bridges thread about the relative pricing of artificial slopes and bridges (including elevated ways), in order to make cut and cover preferable to tunnels (at least for depth 1) then tunnels would have to be very expensive indeed. What do you think of this?

The other one is one of scale - for a double track railway you need two tiles width but most city roads are just one tile (unless you artificially create double lane streets). This would limit the usefulness of cut and cover in simutrans world...

jamespetts

Rats, hadn't considered the double track issue - that does rather make things difficult. I wonder whether it'd be possible to tinker with city rules to produce double-width streets? On balancing, though, I do agree that tunnels should be very expensive indeed, as indeed they are in reality.

wlindley

The amazing thing is that, as expensive as digging tunnels through London was, the Underground was a for-profit (and profitable!) enterprise.

The Hood

It's probably a good idea in the long run to have a cut-and-cover elevated city road - shouldn't be too hard as all images would need the same 4-arch base with the road tile superimposed. However I don't think it's a priority (not for me at least), especially given the lack of double roads...

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on January 29, 2012, 09:55:06 AM
It's probably a good idea in the long run to have a cut-and-cover elevated city road - shouldn't be too hard as all images would need the same 4-arch base with the road tile superimposed. However I don't think it's a priority (not for me at least), especially given the lack of double roads...

Fair enough...

The Hood

OK, some actual TRAINS now...

It's 1995 Tube stock (can you tell at this scale?!?!?!) - although in game it will also double as 1996 stock as they are essentially the same for our purposes.

jamespetts

ӔO

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Ashley

Are they 3D renders or recolours of my ones?

It's funny how when I made these the 2009/2012 stock were just concept drawings, and are now in service. :) Did anyone make the 378 sets in use on the Overground network?
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

jamespetts

Yes - the 378s have been in Pak128.Britain for longer than they have been in service ;-)

kierongreen

Nice to see more progress :) Hopefully this will all be incorporated into the next release (and that into Debian) before my current mega-game reaches the point (started in 1860 at the moment, after 2 weeks of many, many hours of gameplay!)

The Hood

It's a 3D model I knocked up yesterday afternoon (tube trains have rather simple shapes). They are slightly larger than your hand-drawn ones but I'm not 100% happy with the scale yet. I might go slightly larger still. I'm hoping once I've got the scale sorted properly the rest of the stock should be fairly rapid to adapt and render.

jamespetts

Kieron,

if you started in 1860, you're only 3 years off needing Underground trains ;-)

Hood,

the best way to check the scale is: go to the BR Mk. I file in Blender, and select the underframe. Export as Collada, making sure to export only selected. Import this into your new file in a layer not used by anything else. The BR Mk. I underframe should be 19.35m, whereas the 1995 stock cars should be 17.77m (source). So, to get the scale, calculate the length of the 1995 stock cars as a proportion of the BR Mk. 1 (17.77 / 19.35 = 0.918...), and scale your imported underframe by this figure (0.918) in the y direction. This should then be the correct length for your 1995 stock cars. When exporting, you can just disable your scale comparison underframe layer.

The Hood

James,

You don't need a collada to do that. Append/link objects does the same thing much easier.

On scaling, it looks better if you stick to exact fractions of 16 in order to get overlaps with next vehicles looking good too.  Besides, it was more the width and height I was going to vary, more to make it look better rather than strict accuracy.

kierongreen

For some reason part of my post went missing... Started in 1750, now in 1860. Although I had to cheat and start using underground railways in about 1840... :p But proper underground stock won't be needed until 1890 or :)

jamespetts

The Hood,

hmm - I didn't know about this append/link thing - can you tell me more? But I am not sure how something other than the correct scale will look better than something with the correct scale - can you give some example, perhaps?

Kieron,

if by "proper" you mean deep level, then yes ;-)

The Hood

Quote from: kierongreen on January 30, 2012, 09:02:34 PM
For some reason part of my post went missing... Started in 1750, now in 1860. Although I had to cheat and start using underground railways in about 1840... :p But proper underground stock won't be needed until 1890 or :)

Better get a move on then - I'm working backwards in the timeline...

Quote from: jamespetts on January 30, 2012, 10:28:34 PM
The Hood,

hmm - I didn't know about this append/link thing - can you tell me more? But I am not sure how something other than the correct scale will look better than something with the correct scale - can you give some example, perhaps?

File -> Append/Link -> select the file and then object you want. That's all there is to it...

In terms of scaling, the height and width are already larger than they should be for vehicle length so the sprites aren't too small but the vehicles have a sensible length for a tile. I discovered this on my first contribution, the GWR King, which I drew to scale and then had to compress along its length to fit with Kieron's stuff. That's all I've done with the tube stock, and I prefer my latest results.

The Hood

Here's the 1992 stock. I've drawn LUL and NSE (originally used on Waterloo & City line) liveries so experimental can take advantage of these. Only the LUL version will be in standard but I'll put the png on SVN in any case.

jamespetts

The Hood

And the new 2009 stock. It's great how tube trains are so similar it barely takes any time to adapt a model and create a different train!

jamespetts

I do love that aspect of things, too. Did you ever wonder why I produced so many LBSCR tank locomotives...? ;-)

The Hood

And the 1983 stock. I make that less than half an hour for a whole train!

AP

Looking good. What's the position of pak-gb and player-colour liveries? My closest tube trains are on the Isle of Wight, where I recall at least one set being painted bright blue with dinosaurs on it...

jamespetts

Those are the 1938 stock trains (the oldest trains running in regular service in the UK by some considerable margin!), which I think are now running in a heritage style livery similar to their original London Transport red, but were in Network South-East livery (and indeed, the "dinosaur" livery) for a while, too.

Like the 1983 stock, too!

The Hood

1973 stock next, in both original and current refurbished livery

ӔO

wow, you are on fire today.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

kierongreen

jamespetts

Kieron,

while you're here - you wouldn't mind uploading your Metropolitan locomotive/carriage and District unit .blends, would you, so that I can adapt them to make some earlier Metropolitan vehicles?

The Hood

Next up: 1967 stock, again in original and refurbished forms: