News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

No Route appearing on multiple routes

Started by yoda42, July 14, 2009, 08:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yoda42

Hi

I am running Experimental v 5.0 with PAK128.  I am experiencing a problem where a number of my buses suddenly report NO ROUTE and I cannot explain why. 

I am still familiarising myself with the new rules in SE so I may be missing something.

In the first picture you can see that this vehicle is fully loaded and has a waypoint as its next destination. Passengers are destined for the next 2 stops after the waypoint.

In the second picture you can see that the station this vehicle has just left is overcrowded. 313 vs a capacity of 128 which I accept might be a problem, but not given that the vehicle has just loaded passengers. As a test I increased the capacity of the station to 768, but this still does not help.

The next 2 stops "Sand L3 1" and "Sand L3 2" are not overcrowded. Their capacities are 19 out of 64 and 6 out of 64 respectively.

The only way out seems to be to send the vehicle to a depot.  There are a number of vehicles that seem to have this problem.

Am I doing something wrong here ?

Yoda

jamespetts

Yoda,

thank you for  your feedback. The second picture does not show that the vehicle is overcrowded: it is the information window for a stop. You are using Pak128, which does not take advantage of Simutrans-Experimental's overcrowding feature for vehicles.

Can you be clear as to what type of "no route" that you mean? Do you mean that passengers are appearing in the stops designated as "no route"? Or do you mean that vehicles are actually getting stuck? If you mean the latter, please send me your saved game so that I can check for problems (upload it to http://files.simutrans-germany.com). If the former, this is not a problem: it just means that there are places on the map where your transport network does not go that passengers want to go to.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

yoda42

Hello James

The vehicles suddenly stop moving and red "No Route" appears above them. A no route also appears in the ticker.

I have uploaded a save game to http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/SuperVille 2 2 4.sve Please tell me if I am being stupid.

Thank you

Yoda

mwoodburn81

You must have started the game with strict weight limits, which means that your convoys will not travel on a route with a weight limit on it lower than it own weight + it cargo's weight.

When your buses become fully loaded they are too heavy for the dirt roads which only have a 10ton weight limit, if you upgrade the roads to gravel they will be able to route correctly.

~Michael

EDIT: PS  If you do not like this behavior you can change it in the simuconf.tab file.  Where it says..

# This setting allows the way in which weight limits are enforced to be customised.
# If enforce_weight_limits is set to 0, weight limits are ignored entirely. If
# enforce_weight_limits is set to 1, then vehicles can travel over roads, rails,
# tunnels and bridges for which they are too heavy, but only at greatly reduced
# speed. If enforce_weight_limits is set to 2, then vehicles cannot travel over
# ways for which they are overweight at all.
#
# To revert to the behaviour of Simutrans-Standard, set enforce_weight_limits=0

enforce_weight_limits=1

However, this will only effect new games.

yoda42

Eureka Michael - you got it!

I upgraded the roads from gravel to cobbelstone and the buses started moving again.  I like this feature, as it prevents people like me from taking short cuts like I have.

My question though, is can we not have a more descriptive explanation other than "No Route" to help silly guys like me figure out where they have gone wrong.

Yoda

mwoodburn81

when enforce_weight_limits=1 (in your game it is set to 2)  Instead of saying "No Route",  it will still route over the dirt road but at a significantly reduced speed with a yellow warning message saying, "To Heavy"

To the best of my understanding to why it can't give a more descriptive error message when it says "no route" is because the route finding function don't know why it can't find a route.   All it knows it what roads it actually has access to and that none of those roads leads to where the convey wants to road.   There is no way for the route finding function to know what your actual attentions was,  it can't tell if the reason it can't find a route is because of two adjacent tiles are not connected, or because their is a one way traffic sign where there shouldn't be or because there is a weight limit that is to low.  All it knows is "it can't get there from here"     

I am sorry if my explanation isn't 100% clear,  I should be heading to sleepy land.

KrazyJay

I would set the default to enforce_weight_limits=2, but because of your explanation above. If Simutrans even doesn't know why it can't find a route, how come a player can? Furthermore, Simutrans Experimental is a great variant of Simutrans.
Played Simutrans in:
~ The Netherlands ~ United Kingdom ~ Taiwan ~ Belgium ~

Simutrans player

Nathan Samson

Quote from: KrazyJay on July 15, 2009, 05:57:27 AM
If Simutrans even doesn't know why it can't find a route, how come a player can? Furthermore, Simutrans Experimental is a great variant of Simutrans.

Because Humans still are a lot smarter than stupid computers