News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

A Guide for Pak128, with changes for other paks.

Started by Maragil, July 20, 2009, 08:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maragil

I'm not sure where I should put this, as someone asked me to write a little help guide for Pak128.
However, this guide could be used for any pak, with changes to vehicles.

Pak128, with British addons (not necessary)

Hello all. In this post, I'll tell you how to do an effective system.
(Sorry I don't have any screenies, will put them on later)
Please post what you think of it :D

Chapter 1

So, when we load up our map, we'll probably find some cities, connected by cobblestone roads.
A chunk of 3 cities connected would be a nice starter, so we'll use them.
We'll want them medium/largish. Make a depot in each city, and place bus stops (at the beginning, use 32 Passenger stops) around the city, especially near industry buildings, and Tourist attractions, (E.g Russian Church). Get a nice big cheap bus, (I use the Super Citybus I or Asahi Bus) and start running a bus in your cities, at least one in each. Next, you'll might want to use a current bus stop, and expand it a bit, or get a new 128Passenger stop. Using this bus stop, you're going to set up an intercity bus service. I would only have a service going between 2 cities, then another connecting the middle city to the unconnected city.

On your route between cities, if there are factories near the road, then place a stop, and include that onto your route.

So the end result is, 3 cities( or more) connected in the city by bus, and connected between cities by bus.

You might want to find another chunk of cities, and do this process(maybe variate it) again.
!!!Tip!!!

• Name each line like so- P/M/F (Passenger,Mail,Freight) Destination A-Destination B --Insert Mode of Transport here--.
    For example, P/M Mallicross central stop- Hillville central stop Bus/Mail This means that it's a line for Post and Mail, from Mallicross to Hillville, run by Buses and Mail trucks.

Chapter 2

You've probably got 2 chunks of 3 cities connected by bus, if you've been following these posts :D
Now it's time to connect the 2 chunks. If you find a nice area where you can put at least 2 platforms,(preferably near a bus stop) then place your tracks, of about 4 tiles of platform at least. I would use at the beginning the worst track possible. It should be set up like this:

x=platform
= line
b= bus stop
d= depot
r= road

d
                        +==xxxx b
                        ===xxxx rrrrrr

So, Get a locomotive from a depot, my favorite to use is the Red Dwarf when starting, and then Cannonball carriages. Set up platforms on the other end and off you go. Remember to classify your line.

H./

Maragil

Couldn't stick them on one post, it said it was too long/

Chapter 3

You'll have your intercity buses going between cities, and you'll probably find a big city, feeling all abandoned because it's not connected to anything  :'( .This is going to be a main hub.(read below)  
We'll need another bus service! So, place your stops around and DEFINITELY use a big bus :D Make the line, set 1 off, buy another one and make it go. It'll lose money at the beginning, but that's ok.

Set up a rather large station, and use some Wooden Sleeper Track between your REGIONAL HUB and the Main hub. You might want to do 2 lines, with one way signals, and presignals down the line. Then, set up the line, 100% at both ends and go!

This is the set up of the network.

Small/Med City - Other Small/Med City (BUS) = Biggest is DEMI-REGIONAL HUB
Maybe you'll have 2 DEMI-REGIONAL HUBS.
Demi-Regional Hub-> Demi-Regional Hub (TRAIN) = Biggest is Regional Hub
REGIONAL HUB -> MAIN HUB (TRAIN) (BIGGEST CITY, in the area near Regional Hubs)
Eventually, and i'll post this again later, you'll have MAIN HUB-> MAIN HUB (AIR/FERRY/HIGHSPEEDTRAIN  :P)

H./

T0m4S

Thanks for it. It's always interesting to know how other people play the game. I always start with Freight transport. But next time i start a game i'll try what you suggest :)

Maragil

Still writing some of the rest of my guide.

my screenies are all terrible - I wrote this guide somewhat after I'd started from beginner level. However, if one insists I shall post up my Finance screen. Also, I've done 2 freight industry chains, fully kitted out. I'm still ironing out the bugs in it, and shall post up the save game for all to drool over.

Maragil

H./

Maragil

I'll post it up then, but beware - requires addons, and things may get stuck. I just want to finish getting bugs out/

H./