News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

City placement preview

Started by colonyan, July 21, 2009, 12:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonyan

I always wished there is a small window showing only the placement of cities before actual map creation.
  Imagine a normal minimap indicating projected city placement(and maybe size with colour) before map creation.
  Player can quickly change and search for optimised city placement in that minimap instead of watching whole
  map being created. This is particulary so when pc is old or map is big, and high humber of city.

jamespetts

I think that the difficulty with that is that much of the time spent in map creation is precisely determining the locations of cities...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

colonyan

Ah I see. I was misunderstanding something... Please ignore this request.

Dwachs

This is not possible without creating the whole map first.

Since the terrain is generated in a deterministic way using the 'map number', one can easily generate a preview. But for city placement this is not possible. Cities (aka townhall with street in front of it) are placed on flat land, but searching for flat places needs the complete terrain first.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.