News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

New Vehicle: Optare Alero

Started by Mattw62, September 12, 2010, 03:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattw62

Following on with the Optares, I have repainted over an AEC Reliance to create an Optare Alero, and attemped to re-write the .dat file. If all is successful I will re-paint this to create my original idea, an Optare Metrorider, as during 1970-1990 there is a lack of single decks.
I hope its not too bright or rough! :)
Thanks, Matt.

The Hood

Excellent!  I've made a couple of minor tweaks to the dat file and I will upload it into the pak sources if that's OK with you (I assume so as you have released the sources here).

jamespetts

Matthw,

welcome to the forums! It's quite something when somebody's first post is a worthwhile contribution. One or two things that need tweaking, however: firstly, if you compare this graphic to the original that you adapted, you'll see that the shading is not the same. The broad side (on the right) of the third image from the left, for example, needs to be quite shaded.

In Pak128.Britain, this is done by creating the vehicles by exporting images from Blender models. The Hood has the original Blender models if you need to adapt them.

Also, unless I am mistaken, it is a little out of scale, being slightly too large compared to the Reliance from which it was taken, the latter being a full-sized coach, this vehicle being a minibus.

However, smaller single decker 'buses from the 1960s onwards are indeed in shortage in Pak128.Britain, so your effort is most appreciated. With those two suggested changes, it will look very good in the pakset :-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Having tested this in game - I'd agree with JamesPetts.  It is a bit too big, and the shading could do with improving.  Also, please use #000000 (pure black) for windows.  Nevertheless, a great effort first up, and if you do want any blender models to use / adapt to make things then I can oblige.

Mattw62

Thanks alot :) ill have a little fiddle and see what i'll come up with

Edit: Think im there, just made it a few pixels smaller and better gradients
PNG is attatched below

Thanks for an amazing pak :)
Matt

The Hood

That's definitely an improvement.  I'd still say it was a bit on the large side however - take a look at this screenshot and you'll see what I mean.  It looks larger (particularly width/height) than other larger modern buses in the pak.  Perhaps you could scale it down a tad more?

Mattw62

sure, no problem! I see what you mean by the size, I never really know how big its going to be in comparison to the other buses  :)

Here we go, with shading improvements, its now a pixel less high, 2 pixels shorter and a pixel thinner :)

{ Merged your double-post. Please, if you are the last poster and it has been less than 24h, use the "modify" button to modify your last post. Thanks! ~Isaac }

railfan727

Is this the same thing as an Oldsmobile Alero in the US?  If so, this wouldn't be a bad thing to add to the regular pak128 as well.  They're very common in my area... as a matter of fact, my neighbor owns one!

It would be nice to have more 1980s/1990s US city cars in general anyway... cars, pickups, SUVs, minivans...

jamespetts

Did the revised version of this ever make it into Pak128.Britain, or is further work necessary? We could do with more minibuses.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood