News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Hybrid trains

Started by Maragil, July 28, 2009, 05:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maragil

My idea is that you could have a train that runs on diesel/electric? Is this possible in the simutrans engine?

Alternatively, If I have a convoy that is electric led at one end, and a diesel loco at the back (giving the train capability to go on non-electrified track.)

Please post your comments on this.

H./

The Hood

Your second suggestion is entirely possible - and incidentally is exactly what is proposed for the new Super-Express Trains being designed in Britain (one variant has a diesel engine at one end an an electric at the other)

Maragil

So can it be done currently?

H./

martin

Currently hybrid engines are not possible (and will probably not become possible).

And as far as having a diesel and an electric engine in a single convoy: I've never tried it, but it should probably work. You can run diesels on electrified tracks though. When running with two engines you do have to buy and to maintain them both (running costs)

Martin

Maragil

Attempted and failed. Could this feature then perhaps be implemented into the Simutrans Engine (so if you have an un-electrified rail),the power is only used by the diesel.

H./

Lmallet

Quote from: martin on July 28, 2009, 05:47:21 PM
Currently hybrid engines are not possible (and will probably not become possible).
Maybe I misunderstood the original question, but since hybrids can work as diesel or electric, and in Simutrans diesels can run on both electrified and non-electrified track, could you not simply declare hybrids as being diesels?  Or maybe create a new fuel class called "hybrid", which acts exactly as "diesel"?

Unless the OP was thinking that maintenance costs would change depending on if the vehicule is on an electric line or not.  Then that would be more complicated.

Maragil

By 'Hybrid' I'm referring to a train that is electric , but can run on diesel(albeit at a slower speed).

Also, how does one become a 'Devotee' :P

H./

Fabio

an idea: if there are both electric and diesel engine in a convoy: if there is electrification, no running cost for the diesel one (or better, the r.c. of an ordinary wagon); if there is no electrification: use the diesel engine only (and no running costs or ordinary r.c. for the electric one).

Maragil

Quote from: fabio on July 28, 2009, 09:03:10 PM
an idea: if there are both electric and diesel engine in a convoy: if there is electrification, no running cost for the diesel one (or better, the r.c. of an ordinary wagon); if there is no electrification: use the diesel engine only (and no running costs or ordinary r.c. for the electric one).

Would this still use the power of the diesel if there is electrification? (and Vice-Versa)

H./

jamespetts

I had considered adding a feature to allow electro-diesel traction to Simutrans-Experimental a while back, but decided against it in the end on the ground that it would be a great deal of work to accomodate a very marginal case.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.