News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

[Bug 6.1] Creating new game

Started by cwlau9, July 26, 2009, 04:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwlau9

When I creating a new game, I found there is a bug regarding to the "cities ignore height".

If I enable this settings, games cannot be created and simutrans just quit with error.

If I disable this settings, games can be created successfully with only a few cities, about 50. I have tried to create a game with more cities, say 75 - 100 cities, the game just hang and cannot be created successfully.

Please check, thank you for your effort :)

jamespetts

Cwlau9,

thank you for the bug report. Unfortunately, I might not be able to look into bugs or release new versions for a time because of a serious computer failure that I have experienced recently.

However, in the meantime, can you let me know what the error message that you get is? As to generating maps with a greater number of cities, the more cities that you generate, the slower that map creation is, so when you write that it "hangs", it may very well be working, just very slowly. The system for detecting heights makes it slower than it was before. A sufficiently large map with very many cities can take 20-30 minutes to create, depending on the speed of your computer.

Edit: I have managed to fix my computer, and find and fix this bug: it should be resolved by the next version. In the meantime, you will need to ensure that "cities ignore height" is disabled when starting a new map.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

cwlau9

Thank you for your effort.

I found some pattern on the "hang".

If the map is too small for all the cities to place with, the generation process will just hang (at least no response for about 3 0 minutes). I found it no problem when I generated the map with the same parameters in previous version (v5.1) before the introducing of height and cities. The map came out in less than 1 minute.

For example,

Map size       Number of Cities
128 x 128        32
192 x 192        50
256 x 256        75

It seems that the old generation method tries to generate as many cities as it can and gives up if it can't generate any more. However, your generation route will try to find empty places for placing new cities. Unfortunately, no empty space can be found for placing new cities and the looping for generating cities does not terminate.

jamespetts

If I recall correctly (I am not in front of the code now), I think that I have fixed this, too.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.