News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Simutrans Experimental and Other Related Stuff

Started by Maragil, July 17, 2009, 09:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maragil

Dear All,

Simply coming from read the 128.Britain Threads, which are working on Simutrans Experimental compatibility, and a special Pak128.Britain file for it (If I've understood it correctly), I'm wondering how the Pak128 compatibility is going.

Also, I'm guessing that for the paks there will have to be 2 paks, one for Experimental, one for Standard. When Simutrans Experimental is fully "released" will there still be updates for Standard?

Only 2 More Questions to go  ;)

When will the next pak128 (Standard) be released?
And When (approx) will Pak128.Experimental (Or Whatever it shall be called) be released?

Thanks,

Maragil

H./

Zeno

Quote from: Maragil on July 17, 2009, 09:43:40 AM
When Simutrans Experimental is fully "released" will there still be updates for Standard?
When will the next pak128 (Standard) be released?
And When (approx) will Pak128.Experimental (Or Whatever it shall be called) be released?
Well, I never heard of a Pak128 version for ST Experimental... The pak should be independent of the game engine version (pure theory). Btw, I haven't read much about how other paks interact with experimental engine, so I will take a look on it later.

Anyway, the next release of pak128 is ... uhm... unknown?  ::)
I can say for sure it won't be a new version until VS is back, and that is end of august.
Finally, you can find in the nightly page the latest pak128 ("unnoficial") compilation, maybe it can help you as it includes latest changes.

Combuijs

QuoteWhen Simutrans Experimental is fully "released"

Simutrans Experimental is a split-off from Simutrans Standard. It was made to experiment with certain functionality that might harm Simutrans Standard. There is a chance that some Experimental features might be incorporated in Standard, but it is not to be expected that the full Experimental version will be integrated in the Standard version.

So in general one can say that all current paks (that are maintained at the moment) will be compatible with Standard, and that some paks might have a branch for the Experimental version. The trouble with these branches is that changes in a standard pak might not be incorporated in the experimental pak version.

In my view you should worry about the maintainance of the paks for the experimental version, not about the paks for the standard version.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Maragil

H./

The Hood

Basically the standard paks work with experimental, allowing the game to run, but for many of the additional features of experimental to work extra vehicle/way parameters are required - obviously these aren't there in the standard paks.  If you use pak128 with experimental then you won't get these features (e.g. comfort rating, tilting trains).  What is needed is a branch of the pakset which includes the extra parameters to allow these - that's what is happening with pak128.Britain.

ariarinen

The experimental edition sounds really good, and a pak128 with support for the new features would be nice to have.