News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

pak128.Britain - new graphics to-do list

Started by The Hood, August 18, 2009, 10:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlindley

A discussion thread, "Industrial stations & extensions" in Pak128 demonstrates how industries can have "holes" into which the player may insert railroad tracks or other ways.  Here, the industry tiles are laid out in a "U" shape with an overhead crane that spans a gap where the player's tracks go:

That might be an interesting way of coding some future Britain industries?

jamespetts

Interesting. We do need some graphics for modern versions of some of the industries, such as coal mines, coal power stations, steel mills, iron ore mines, etc.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

VS

For reference - it seems that the only requirements are:
1) All corners used
2) All shapes reachable by rotation exist

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

The Hood

I've just updated the first post to reflect current status.

Jersern :)

I was hoping for the DVT (driving van trailer) for the Class 90 (Intercity 225) trains as they're currently broken in the 1.13 release. You can not use the 225 at full speed (with Mk 4 cars). Is there some other way to run them at the full speed? Thanks! :)

kierongreen

You should be able to copy the DVT file over from a previous release I would have thought.

jamespetts

Hmm - I notice that monorails are on the list. Did we ever have a significant number of monorails? I really can't think of any outside garden festivals and the like. Would we be better off re-using the monorail slot for some other rail based system, such as broad gauge (perhaps with modern vehicles based on Irish practice - they do have a broader gauge over there), or even a different sort of narrow gauge - perhaps the Manx 3ft gauge to complement our Welsh 2ft gauge?

Edit: I still suggest that we add ground objects and left-handed signals to the list.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Vera

Monorails have never been a big thing here. There were monorails built in the early nineteenth century built on Henry Palmer's design - this being a single rail of wood with an iron strip spiked on top to provide a running surface, with the whole thing supported on wooden posts. The vehicles themselves were pannier, attached to a frame with grooved wheels and were propelled by either men or horses.

Two built; one at Deptford Dockyard and a short line at a quarry in Hertfordshire, the latter for moving stone and passengers. Apparently it has a degree of notability for not only being the first railway in Hertfordshire but the first passenger carrying monorail in the world. There's a great lack of information on them, let alone any other systems. Hardly significant and replaced by railways quite early.

From my observations on them, they're not going to take off as a viable means of public transport in the world, let alone the United Britain. I'd support using the slot for a broad gauge system.

kierongreen

If we are going for broad gauge you can't go mixing Brunels (7ft) with Irish (5ft and a few inches). Irish gauge isn't really noticeable visibly different from standard gauge. Isle of Man (which by coincidence I am on this weekend!) has no real modern stock, it's all around 100 years old. I'd suggest just not using the slot at all.

The Hood

I was intending it as a future vehicles slot (and keeping for compatibility with add-ons from other sets). Narrow gauge - I was envisaging narrow to represent a range of gauges from 15 inches up to Manx 3 ft. Broad gauge - I do intend to add a set at some stage, but I think this would run best (in experimental at least) as a way constraint out of standard gauge - this would allow regauging and dual gauge trains as in real life. Irish 5ft gauge isn't considered as Ireland is not part of Britain, but I suppose no reason why it couldn't be an add-on (again as standard gauge effectively).

jamespetts

Hmm - what sort of future vehicles had you in mind? Way constraints are not designed to work as you imagine here, as they are intended to be non-exclusive (e.g., Underground trains can also run above ground, diesel trains can run on any type of electrified track, narrow canal boats can travel on broad canals). For a situation where X type of vehicle can only run on X type of way, and Y type of vehicle can only run on Y type of way, a waytype rather than a way constraint is more appropriate. To try to replicate this using way constraints, all rail vehicles and ways (other than dual gauge ways) would each have to have one of two permissive constraints (broad or narrow) and not only do I doubt that there would be enough slots left after all the slots taken for canals, this would also be confusing to players by the way in which way constraints are represented in the GUI.

Edit: Incidentally, I think that there is a real economic problem with representing different sorts of narrow gauge using the one waytype: there would be no incentive to build the vehicles from the smaller gauges as the larger vehicles, even if they cost more themselves, would always be more cost efficient. The point of narrow gauge is to have greatly reduced construction costs of the railways themselves, which reduction is in proportion to how narrow that the gauge is. The relative reduction in cost over standard gauge would have to be calibrated to a specific gauge. (If one were to balance the costs of the larger vehicles so as to be less cost effective, then they would end up being uneconomic - in any event, the basic economics of narrow gauge would be fundamentally distorted if vehicles from different gauges were allowed to run on a single type of track with a single construction cost).

ӔO

I've found some interesting and odd freight rolling stock replica schematics here
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/4-rstock/004-index.htm
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

greenling

Hello AEO
That it very usefull what you fund.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

The Hood

I should probably just check with those of you that play more than I do what you think the current priorities are. Balancing is a big one for me at the minute, but graphics wise this is what I have (from the first post) as the most pressing ones in a rough order of priority - any other views?

- aeroplanes (work in progress - Milko)
- different industry graphics for different eras (some done by wlindley, others still needed)
- more attractions (some done by wlindley and Archon, more variety still needed)
- headquarters (some courtesy of wlindley, others welcome)
- more citybuildings (some done by wlindley, Archon and myself, more variety still needed)
- underground trains (tube done, subsurface not)
- more trees
- monorails
- futuristic vehicles for all modes

jamespetts

I think that balancing is indeed the greatest priority. After that, I think that era-specific industries and trees are somewhat important.

Also to consider and not on the list are broad tunnel portals, sounds, left handed signals, and possibly building animations/industry smoke - some features which are not currently implemented in Pak128.Britain at all.

We are also a little short on the very latest vehicles of most types, such as the Boeing 787, Airbus A380, the Class 70 diesel locomotive, the class 379 EMUs, the latest Blackpool, Croydon and (I think) Manchester trams, the New 'Bus for London, and the correct livery for the "Javelin" trains (the current graphics were produced before these trains were actually built using a guessed livery so far as I can see).

Edit: One other thing that would be good, for consistency, is interior tunnel graphics for tunnels other than tube tunnels.

ReeceCitylink

Will you be adding the Siemens class 185 to that list to run on the transpennine services.

jamespetts

Ahh, that is something worth doing at some point, I think. It's just a matter of priorities, really: 'buses and trams have more gaps in them than rail at present.

greenling

Hello on All
I have remark that the Airplanes have a very big gap how we must fill.
I must lend out the airplanes out pak128 std that i have a working airtransportservice.
And i have now remark that the Half high code now disturb many do.
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)

kierongreen

In terms of half heights the remaining graphics to be converted are aqueducts and most road bridges. My progress on this has been slow to say the least.

greenling

Hello Kierongreen
I will you not shocking but i gives many trouble that will i soon posting.

wlindley

Gauthier has done quite a nice job on new stations for pak128, with quite a variety of small to large stations.  Would our Britain benefit from some smaller and larger modern stations?  In any case, it is well worth looking at his png and dat files to see how he has done these.

Quote from: gauthier on December 14, 2013, 12:16:05 PM
Here are the sources : https://mega.co.nz/#!Q9IXBbSI!QIuIbwxPrXyZest8WzaOqDK9SfAa3tb7o3gIKnIFGcI
And here is a pak file for who wants to test : https://mega.co.nz/#!c0IXEBwT!T_6OfnE3hRXuOjFTHjC5YRR9axN9sa7UibZVu2sC31s

(First time I use MEGA, hope it works fine ...).

EDIT : I'm likely to update these files in weeks.

jamespetts

Hmm - those particular stations do not look very British.

wlindley

No, not at all.  But would we like, for example, something like the bottom one coded instead as Waterloo International, for example?

jamespetts

kierongreen

I think he means having large overall roofs spanning 4 tracks. I'm against this as I think it complicates the placing of stations considerably.

jamespetts

Ahh, yes, I see. Kieron does have a point about complicating station placement, I think.

The Hood

Now I've released 1.15 that completes two major projects (half heights and new industry graphics). Time to work out what's next. Planes are the obvious incomplete section but Milko and jamespetts are slowly producing more to complete the timeline on that. I've drawn a lot of buildings recently so I'm considering completing the London Underground timeline as a bit of variety before doing more municipal buildings (schools, hospitals etc). Any other ideas?

jamespetts

Perhaps some more trees? We currently only have two types. We are also a bit short of ocean liners. Further, the railway signals in the pakset are all from the era when left hand signals were not an option, so they are all oriented to the right (this is especially significant for semaphore signals). Signals that would look good when on the left hand side of the track would be most useful.

Sarlock

I am currently sitting on many different tree designs in Blender that I am working on finishing for pak128 and would be happy to give them to you to port to pak128.Britain when they're done.

I've been playing with the Cycles renderer lately and I am really impressed with it.  The lighting is much nicer.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

The Hood

@Sarlock, that would be great. I've started tube trains first but that can be the next project.

jamespetts

The Hood - let me know if you want any assistance with research with some of the early era vehicles - I have a number of books with details. Also, the Metropolitan Railway E class locomotive drawn some time ago by Kieron needs re-scaling, but, sadly, the Blender model is lost, so it may have to be recreated from scratch. I can produce the A-class locomotive in Metropolitan livery if that would help, although if you are producing other Metropolitan livery locomotives, we should co-ordinate livery colours first.

Junna

Are these the sub-surface line stock that is planned?

jamespetts

I think so, as all of the deep level tube vehicles are already done.

The Hood

Yes - should have made that clearer.

Underground specific discussion continues in the old underground thread: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=2730.100

Y5mpF3

I love the cobblestone buildings, for example the Dairy1750. It would be great, if somebody would complete the set. There could also be more variants of the other 1750 and 1820 buildings.