News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

pak128.Britain - new graphics to-do list

Started by The Hood, August 18, 2009, 10:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

Last time I checked the fens were in Norfolk/Cambridgeshire - I'll check again when I'm over there tomorrow ;)

either way I don't think they'd look great on a single tile.

wlindley

How about adding player color placards on the various depots... I have already done this on the coach stable and a few of the others.

updated pngs here

Question: For some depots, as the shipyard, flags would be appropriate; which direction does the wind blow?

jamespetts

That's very nice - I like that! That would be good for headquarters, too, only we don't have headquarters yet... ;-)
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AP

Quote from: wlindley on May 15, 2010, 01:29:36 PMQuestion: For some depots, as the shipyard, flags would be appropriate; which direction does the wind blow?

Prevailing wind in the UK is from the south-west.

sanna

Quote from: wlindley on May 15, 2010, 01:29:36 PM
How about adding player color placards on the various depots... I have already done this on the coach stable and a few of the others.
This looks absolutely wonderful! Hope to see it officially included!

Quote from: jamespetts on May 15, 2010, 01:37:37 PM
That's very nice - I like that! That would be good for headquarters, too, only we don't have headquarters yet... ;-)
Do headquarters have a timeline in Simutrans?

VS

Not timeline, but rather company-size-line...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

wlindley

Just for starters I used a variation of the stone station building that Kieron drew, but which is not currently used, for a headquarters building with company-color flag.  zipfile with gimp source, dat, png, and compiled pak

jamespetts

Ahh, very nice! Might I suggest that the level be set to something > 0? I was rather hoping to make some rickety wooden shed for the very lowest level of headquarters - I think that Pak128.Britain could do with a smattering of wry humour ;-)

Edit: Of course, if you feel like making a rickety wooden shed, I'm not stopping you, either ;-)

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

sdog

wry humour is something you should definitely add to pak britain to great extent. that is, i was told, the only reason you can survive the food you get served over there.

(i still have to find out how the yanks can survive their food and american humour. */me prepared to get slapped with a red herring*)

wlindley

Right, then; one little shack, some broken-down carts, and a pile of track, for HQ level 0.  Large building now at HQ level 2; there is an intermediate as well, but I cannot suss how to upgrade headquarters (nor does searching here or Google give any answers).

Updated pak in zipfile

jamespetts

WLindley,

I love it! Genius! As to your existing HQ, however, there is a GUI problem - for some reason, it shows up as a button in the railway tools menu, only there isn't a button graphic, so it all goes a bit peculiar.

Headquarters are built and upgraded in the finance window, incidentally.

wlindley

Updated pakfile should correct spurious button. 

VS

There is one important thing to keep in mind. Just like town halls, all levels should have the same size, or it breaks. Just saying... since you might later want to have more epic levels spanning multiple tiles. Current version seems to be 1x1.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

jamespetts

Ahh, VS has a good point - it'd be good to have 2x2 headquarters buildings in future. Perhaps the existing ones can be updated to have some grounds surrounding them...?

The Hood

Nice work.  2x2 should be the standard headquarter size, so please add grounds to the existing ones.  Snow images for each would be great as well.

With the depots, I'm not sure how easy it would be for you Wlindley, but maybe you could replace the current guttering (and the door colours on the modern depots) with player colours?

neroden

Quote from: The Hood on May 16, 2010, 04:10:01 PM
Nice work.  2x2 should be the standard headquarter size, so please add grounds to the existing ones.  Snow images for each would be great as well.

I like the idea of significantly more broken-down vehicles and loose bits of track filling the 2x2.  A pile of paving gravel and loose planks wouldn't go amiss either.  :)  Initial HQ doubles as equipment yard -- very realistic ;)

jonasbb

Why is it a problem if the first hq has 1x1 and the second 2x2?
You could place the second one to a different place where it fit.

VS

Unfortunately that's not how it works :(

Dwachs

Quote from: VS on May 16, 2010, 07:27:26 PM
Unfortunately that's not how it works :(
hm? That should be the way it works! I tested it some minutes ago.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

VS

Huh. Apparently that changed, then... sorry. Last I remembered, HQs were upgraded in place, not built anew each time.

The Hood

In which case, the 1x1 graphics above are fine.  Larger 2x2 or even 3x3 HQs for future years would be nice at some stage.

jamespetts

Should the early headquarters graphic really have railway equipment strewn about it? A player might, after all, want to build a headquarters in 1760 or so...

wlindley

James - I have drawn a headquarters without track, but apparently HQ do not respect the start and end years?  That would be awfully convenient.

Meantime I have added company flags to the various bus and truck stations... although I suppose I should figure out how to do this from the Blender models instead of just pixel-editing?

vilvoh

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

The Hood

Wlindley,

I don't think flags on the stations look right somehow - none of my local stations or bus stops have flags like this.  They look great on headquarters though, so let's just keep them for identifying HQs.  I also think it's fine how you've done them so far with pixel editing - company colours are hard to do in blender.

Some of the bus stations already have company colour bus stop signs, so maybe if you wanted to make the other stations into company colours it would be best to try and make some of the details company coloured rather than adding flags.  So things like the canopy on the over-roof of the railway station, or the colour of the signs, fences, guttering and doors, that sort of thing.

Having said that though, once you start adding company colours, do you then add company colours to vehicles as well?  Pak128.Britain has gone down the "original colours" route rather than player colours, with only a handful of sprites with player colours in very subtle places.  Changing everything would be very hard work (but if you want to do a player colour branch of the pak, be my guest!), and having half-and-half would look a little silly I think.  And I'm certainly not keen for either redrawing the existing vehicles or drawing new vehicles myself in player colours - that would be a chore and would take the fun out of it for me.  So I would strongly recommend keeping any player colour additions to the minimum, and very subtle at that.

sdog

i certainly don't know how british bus stops or loading bays looked like, but i think the flags wlindley added are very convenient. If they aren't completely unthinkable for an englishman to use, you could think about using them for the stops displayed above. afterall it's the players transport company, and we can handwavingly argue the player decided to hang up the flags as a cheap way to make them identifiable. At least the factory yards

Don't forget we will soon have multiplayer network games.

It would also very usefull to have some more player colour on the depots, they are often hard to find, when towns grow around them, even a little bit of colour will stick out. The sign on the depot's side will be obstructed, perhaps also a player coloured sign above the entrance?

jamespetts

I tend to agree with The Hood about the flags - whilst they look excellent on headquarters, they do look a touch out of place on 'bus stops. The sign on the depot is good, however.

As The Hood pointed out, doing all the vehicles would be an enormous task, and would probably require a branch, since there are some people who prefer historical liveries.

As to stations - I agree with The Hood about the sorts of details that it makes sense to player-colourise: benches, lamp-posts, stations signs and canopies (and the other things that The Hood suggested). In particular, the bright red coloured lamp-posts and benches of the most modern type of railway station would benefit from being made player colour, I think (so that we're not forever stuck in the South East of England in the 1980s and early 1990s...). Some of the 'bus stops are already given player colours for their road facing signs; the 'bus stations and loading bays should probably have a similar approach to the depots.

I don't think that putting player colours on depots and stations necessarily means that player colours must go on vehicles, too; indeed, there is something to say that, for buildings, player colours are only really needed on depots and headquarters, since stations have coloured name tags in any event. However, the modern stations would look a lot better with variable colour lamp-posts...

The Hood

Looks like Dwachs has released a patch to allow HQ timelines - would be good to take advantage of this (so different types of clutter strewn around the wood hut depending on era, for example).

jamespetts

Very nice! And different architectural styles, perhaps.

The Hood

I've added HQs to SVN (with a couple of minor modifications including adding player colours to doors).  It would be great to have snow image equivalents too, and any other HQs of different sizes and eras.

wlindley

TheHood: If you could email me the updated HQ png with the player-color doors, I have a couple other additions for that. (Would be nice if we had private msgs turned back on sometime.)

The Hood

@wlindley
1) I'm at work now but you can get the images off SVN anyway
2) You can request PMs here: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=4996

prissi

Maybe a little late, but headquarter do not need to have the same size. You would just have to move headquarter, if new one has larger size. AI does this too.

nitromefan

Quote from: The Hood on May 18, 2010, 02:10:18 PM
Wlindley,

I don't think flags on the stations look right somehow - none of my local stations or bus stops have flags like this.  They look great on headquarters though, so let's just keep them for identifying HQs.  I also think it's fine how you've done them so far with pixel editing - company colours are hard to do in blender.

Some of the bus stations already have company colour bus stop signs, so maybe if you wanted to make the other stations into company colours it would be best to try and make some of the details company coloured rather than adding flags.  So things like the canopy on the over-roof of the railway station, or the colour of the signs, fences, guttering and doors, that sort of thing.

Having said that though, once you start adding company colours, do you then add company colours to vehicles as well?  Pak128.Britain has gone down the "original colours" route rather than player colours, with only a handful of sprites with player colours in very subtle places.  Changing everything would be very hard work (but if you want to do a player colour branch of the pak, be my guest!), and having half-and-half would look a little silly I think.  And I'm certainly not keen for either redrawing the existing vehicles or drawing new vehicles myself in player colours - that would be a chore and would take the fun out of it for me.  So I would strongly recommend keeping any player colour additions to the minimum, and very subtle at that.

Well I'd have to agree with you but it is a good idea to have something like flags for company identity but there should be something for company identity. E.g  Have a little rectangle on a pole with the company's colour.

In Brisbane some stations have company signs some don't.

This one doesn't

but this one does

( See the symbol on the sign. That's the symbol for translink , the transport company is Brisbane.

Well try to make a rectangle on a pole with the company's colour on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about making a small sign like the one on this photo Wlindley.

(Sorry the photo tool wont work so i have put a link below instead.)  :-[

files.[ simutrans [dot] us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/VVsyI-yfAw/untitled-366.jpg

;D

jamespetts

Might I suggest that the following be added to the list?

• Ground objects
  • Left handed signals