News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

pak.German balancing

Started by The Hood, September 20, 2009, 12:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

I understand that pak.German is supposed to be a challenging pak to play economically, and also spans a large timeline.  As you may have noticed, there is some debate going on about balancing in pak128.Britain:

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=3333.msg32762;topicseen#msg32762

I was wondering if someone could explain how balancing works in pak.German, what the aims of the balancing are, and how maintenance and build costs for buildings and vehicles are calculated.  In particular I'm interested in how the speed bonuses are handled, especially at times when vehicle speeds change rapidly, e.g. when horses are replaced with trucks / buses...

Frank

Quote from: The Hood on September 20, 2009, 12:42:03 PM
....  In particular I'm interested in how the speed bonuses are handled, especially at times when vehicle speeds change rapidly, e.g. when horses are replaced with trucks / buses...

that's the point, pak.german has no speed bonus

The Hood

So it always uses average speed for that waytype?  How are maintenance costs determined?

Spike

No, there is no bonus or malus in regard to any reference speed in pak.German

jamespetts

The speed bonus rating of all types of goods, as I understand it, is zero in Pak.German.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Oh right, that's certainly one way of getting round speed-bonus related quirks... Wonder whether that's a good idea for pak128.Britain?

jamespetts

I prefer the other way of getting around speed bonus related quirks - using Simutrans-Experimental - but then I'm biased...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

Yes, but that is what pak128.Britain experimental is for :)

I'm talking about for the standard version...

Dwachs

Quote from: The Hood on September 20, 2009, 12:42:03 PM
I understand that pak.German is supposed to be a challenging pak to play economically
Imho, this no longer holds true due to the changes regarding bankruptcy: now the value of vehicles counts as 'plus', which makes pak.german much easier to play.

Maybe other costs should be raised?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

prissi

I would suggest something like the calculation in pak64; Only here the speedbonus revenue for trains is set at 10% of the theoretically maximal income of the introduction year. (For Buses it is 50% and for planes and ships 70-90%) I set the maintannce also such that most vehicles are just profitable at the retirement year.